Photos, Prints, Drawings Photographs from Geographical explorations and surveys west of the 100th meridian, expedition of 1874 under command of Lieut. Geo. M. Wheeler, Corps of Eng'rs
- Photographs from Geographical explorations and surveys west of the 100th meridian, expedition of 1874 under command of Lieut. Geo. M. Wheeler, Corps of Eng'rs
- This group of photos contains variant printings of photos to show changes in cropping and the use of numbers scratched into the glass plates. The subject content covers landscape views of mountains, lakes, and waterfalls in Colorado and Idaho, and one image of ruins in the San Juan Pueblo in New Mexico.
- Contributor Names
- O'Sullivan, Timothy H., 1840-1882, photographer
- Wheeler, George M. (George Montague), 1842-1905.
- United States. War Department. Corps of Engineers.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Geographical Surveys West of the 100th Meridian (U.S.)
- - Shoshone Falls (Idaho)--1870-1880
- - Canyons--Colorado--1870-1880
- - Waterfalls--Idaho--1870-1880
- Format Headings
- Albumen prints--1870-1880.
- Expedition photographs--1870-1880.
- Landscape photographs--1870-1880.
- - LOT title from items.
- - Individual photographs are accompanied by an expanded caption, or "descriptive legend" on verso.
- - Some prints: Transfer, War Department, 1915 April 7 (DLC/PP-1915:44930).
- - Some prints: Transfer, Geography & Map Division, Gilbert Thompson Collection, 2008 (DLC/PP-2008:026).
- 11 photographic prints : albumen ; 8 x 11 in. on original imprinted mounts.
- Call Number
- LOT 4677-D (H) [P&P]
- Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Rights Advisory
- No known restrictions on publication.
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress generally does not own rights to material in its collections and, therefore, cannot grant or deny permission to publish or otherwise distribute the material. For information about assessing rights, see the Rights and Restrictions Information page.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
- Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.
- Reproduction Number: ---
- Call Number: LOT 4677-D (H) [P&P]
- Access Advisory: ---
Generally, catalog records for Groups of Images in High Demand describe multiple items, from which a selection must be made. The individual items in the group may or may not be represented online.
Access to Originals
Please use the following steps to determine whether you need to fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room to view the original item(s). In some cases, a surrogate (substitute image) is available, often in the form of a digital image, a copy print, or microfilm.
Is the item digitized? (A thumbnail (small) image will be visible on the left.)
- Yes, the item is digitized. Please use the digital image in preference to requesting the original. All images can be viewed at a large size when you are in any reading room at the Library of Congress. In some cases, only thumbnail (small) images are available when you are outside the Library of Congress because the item is rights restricted or has not been evaluated for rights restrictions. As a preservation measure, we generally do not serve an original item when a digital image is available. If you have a compelling reason to see the original, consult with a reference librarian. (Sometimes, the original is simply too fragile to serve. For example, glass and film photographic negatives are particularly subject to damage. They are also easier to see online where they are presented as positive images.)
- No, the item is not digitized. Please go to #2.
Do the Access Advisory or Call Number fields above indicate that a non-digital surrogate exists, such as microfilm or copy prints?
- Yes, another surrogate exists. Reference staff can direct you to this surrogate.
- No, another surrogate does not exist. Please go to #3.
- If you do not see a thumbnail image or a reference to another surrogate, please fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room. In many cases, the originals can be served in a few minutes. Other materials require appointments for later the same day or in the future. Reference staff can advise you in both how to fill out a call slip and when the item can be served.
To contact Reference staff in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room, please use our Ask A Librarian service or call the reading room between 8:30 and 5:00 at 202-707-6394, and Press 3.