Photos, Prints, Drawings Photographs from Geographical & geological explorations & surveys west of the 100th meridian, expedition of 1873 - Lieut. Geo. M. Wheeler, Corps of Engineers, commanding
Photos, Prints, Drawings
O'sullivan, Timothy H.
Sierra Blanca Range
Chelly, Canyon De (Ariz.)
Geographical Surveys West of the 100th Meridian (U.S.)
Indians of North America
Sierra Blanca Range (N.M.)
- Photographs from Geographical & geological explorations & surveys west of the 100th meridian, expedition of 1873 - Lieut. Geo. M. Wheeler, Corps of Engineers, commanding
- Contributor Names
- O'Sullivan, Timothy H., 1840-1882, photographer.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Geographical Surveys West of the 100th Meridian (U.S.)
- - Indians of North America--Structures--1870-1880.--New Mexico
- - Chelly, Canyon de (Ariz.)--1870-1880
- - Sierra Blanca Range (N.M.)--1870-1880
- - Canyons--1870-1880.--Arizona
- - Photographs showing landscape views of mountains and canyons such as Canyon de Chelly in Arizona, the Sierra Blanca Range and the historic record of the Spanish conquest on Inscription Rock in New Mexico. Includes images of Native American life and structures in New Mexico such as Zuni Pueblo.
- - LOT contains variant prints to show changes in cropping and the use of numbers scratched into the glass plate negatives.
- - No known restrictions on publication.
- - Transfer; Geography & Map Division, Gilbert Thompson Collection; (DLC/PP-2008:026)
- - LOT title from items.
- - There is no item number 9 in this group.
- - A majority of the images were originally published: Photographs showing landscapes, geological, and other features of portions of the western territory of the United States, obtained in connection with geographical and geological explorations and surveys west of the 100th meridian, seasons of 1871, 1872, and 1873. [Washington, D.C.] : War Dept., Corps of Engineers, U.S. Army, 
- - Item nos. 22 to 27, 29-31 have "M. Y. Boughton, Builder. Court House, Cheyenne, Wyoming Territory. T. H. O'Sullivan, Photographer" printed on the verso. See LC-DIG-ppmsca-15927 to view the back of item no. 31.
- - Transfer, War Department, 1915 April 7 (DLC/PP-1915:44930).
- - Gift; Mrs. Geo. M. Lockwood; Nov. 9, 1909; (DLC/PP-1909:43909).
- 35 photographic prints : albumen ; 8 x 11 in. on original imprinted mounts.
- Call Number
- LOT 4677-C
- Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
- Rights Advisory: See Rights and Restrictions Information Page
- Reproduction Number: ---
- Call Number: LOT 4677-C
- Access Advisory: ---
If an image is displaying, you can download it yourself. (Some images display only as thumbnails outside the Library of Congress because of rights considerations, but you have access to larger size images on site.)
Alternatively, you can purchase copies of various types through Library of Congress Duplication Services.
- If a digital image is displaying: The qualities of the digital image partially depend on whether it was made from the original or an intermediate such as a copy negative or transparency. If the Reproduction Number field above includes a reproduction number that starts with LC-DIG..., then there is a digital image that was made directly from the original and is of sufficient resolution for most publication purposes.
- If there is information listed in the Reproduction Number field above: You can use the reproduction number to purchase a copy from Duplication Services. It will be made from the source listed in the parentheses after the number.
If only black-and-white ("b&w") sources are listed and you desire a copy showing color or tint (assuming the original has any), you can generally purchase a quality copy of the original in color by citing the Call Number listed above and including the catalog record ("About This Item") with your request.
- If there is no information listed in the Reproduction Number field above: You can generally purchase a quality copy through Duplication Services. Cite the Call Number listed above and include the catalog record ("About This Item") with your request.
Price lists, contact information, and order forms are available on the Duplication Services Web site.
Access to Originals
Please use the following steps to determine whether you need to fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room to view the original item(s). In some cases, a surrogate (substitute image) is available, often in the form of a digital image, a copy print, or microfilm.
Is the item digitized? (A thumbnail (small) image will be visible on the left.)
- Yes, the item is digitized. Please use the digital image in preference to requesting the original. All images can be viewed at a large size when you are in any reading room at the Library of Congress. In some cases, only thumbnail (small) images are available when you are outside the Library of Congress because the item is rights restricted or has not been evaluated for rights restrictions. As a preservation measure, we generally do not serve an original item when a digital image is available. If you have a compelling reason to see the original, consult with a reference librarian. (Sometimes, the original is simply too fragile to serve. For example, glass and film photographic negatives are particularly subject to damage. They are also easier to see online where they are presented as positive images.)
- No, the item is not digitized. Please go to #2.
Do the Access Advisory or Call Number fields above indicate that a non-digital surrogate exists, such as microfilm or copy prints?
- Yes, another surrogate exists. Reference staff can direct you to this surrogate.
- No, another surrogate does not exist. Please go to #3.
- If you do not see a thumbnail image or a reference to another surrogate, please fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room. In many cases, the originals can be served in a few minutes. Other materials require appointments for later the same day or in the future. Reference staff can advise you in both how to fill out a call slip and when the item can be served.
To contact Reference staff in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room, please use our Ask A Librarian service or call the reading room between 8:30 and 5:00 at 202-707-6394, and Press 3.