Maps General Forbes' route on the march against Fort Du Quesne, 1758 : this map is a copy of the original map, "General Forbes' marching jurnal [sic] to the Ohio J. Potts" in the collection of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania /
Historical Society of Pennsylvania
McGowan, Wm. D. (William D.)
Early Works to 1800
Forbes Expedition Against Fort Duquesne, Pa.
French and Indian War
- General Forbes' route on the march against Fort Du Quesne, 1758 : this map is a copy of the original map, "General Forbes' marching jurnal [sic] to the Ohio J. Potts" in the collection of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania /
- Other Title
- General Forbes' marching jurnal [sic] to the Ohio, J. Potts
- Contributor Names
- Forbes, John, 1710-1759.
- Potts, John, 1738-
- McGowan, Wm. D. (William D.)
- Historical Society of Pennsylvania.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Forbes Expedition against Fort Duquesne, Pa., 1758--Maps, Manuscript
- - Military roads--Pennsylvania--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - Pennsylvania--History--French and Indian War, 1754-1763--Maps, Manuscript
- - United States--Pennsylvania
- - Shows the route westward in Pennsylvania from Loudon, via Littleton, Fort Bedford, Stony Brook, Fort Ligonier, Washington's Camp, to Pittsburgh (Ohio River).
- - Relief shown pictorially.
- - Title from westernmost panel.
- - Manuscript: pen-and-ink (black) and graphite pencil.
- - Relief shown pictorially.
- - Indicates nature of the adjacent landscape along the hatched route line.
- - The date of the final rendering of the route by Dr. McGowan is not known (approximate).
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Vault
- 1 ms. map ; on tracing-linen ; 49 x 202 cm., folded to 49 x 52 cm.
- Call Number
- G3821.S26 1758 .P6
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g3821s ar303500 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3821s.ar303500
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.