Maps Maps illustrating Gen'l Sherman's "March to the sea" and through the Carolinas and Virginia /
McDowell, Robert M.
South Atlantic States
Sherman's March Through the Carolinas
Sherman's March to the Sea
Sherman, William T.
South Atlantic States
- Maps illustrating Gen'l Sherman's "March to the sea" and through the Carolinas and Virginia /
- Other Title
- Maps illustrating General Sherman's "March to the sea" and through the Carolinas and Virginia
- Contributor Names
- McDowell, Robert M. (Topographical engineer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Sherman, William T.--(William Tecumseh),--1820-1891
- - South Atlantic States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Atlanta Campaign, 1864--Maps
- - Sherman's March to the Sea--Maps
- - Sherman's March through the Carolinas--Maps
- - United States--South Atlantic States
- - Atlanta Campaign
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - Title from cover.
- - Gift; Ransom Post no. 131, Grand Army of the Republic, St. Louis, Mo.; September 1933.
- - Pen and ink and colored ink on paper and tracing cloth.
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 77
- - LeGear. Atlases of the United States, 10658
- - Similar maps printed in the U.S. War Dept.'s Atlas to accompany the official records of the Union and Confederate armies, 1891-95, pl. 71, no. 1-11; pl. 79., no. 4; pl. 80, no. 1-11; and pl. 101, no 7, 19.
- - Title pages to sections 2 and 3 not manuscript. All section title pages signed by R.M. McDowell.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - On label (6 x 12 cm.) affixed inside front cover: "Presented by Ransom Post no. 131, Grand Army of the Republic, St. Louis, MO."
- - Lower portion of title page to section 1 wanting.
- - Conserved Feb. 1988.
- - Call number revised from that appearing in Stephenson's Civil War maps, 1989.
- 1 ms. atlas ( leaves) : 51 col. maps (some folded), 20 x 31 cm.
- Call Number
- G1289.31.S5 M2 1865
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.