Maps Civitates orbis terrarvm.
Cities and Towns
Early Works to 1800
- Civitates orbis terrarvm.
- Contributor Names
- Braun, Georg, 1540 or 1541-1622.
- Created / Published
- [Coloniae Agrippinae : apud Petrum à Brachel, sumptibus auctorum, 1612-1618]
- Subject Headings
- - Cities and towns--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Cities and towns--Aerial views--Early works to 1800
- - Cities and towns--Pictorial works--Early works to 1800
- - Atlases, German--Early works to 1800
- - Earth
- - "Privilegium Caesareae maiestatis, which occurs in each volume generally on the reverse of the title page, refers to Francis Hogenberg as the author's collaborator."--Phillips.
- - Colophon of v. 1: Coloniae Agrippinae, apud Petrum à Brachel, sumptibus auctorum.
- - Colophon of v. 6: Colonię Agrippinę, Antonius Hierat & Abrahamus Hoghenberg.
- - Collaborators and artists whose works these maps were based on include George and Jacob Hoefnagel, Simon Novellanus, Jacob van Deventer, Heinrich Rantzau, etc.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Includes indexes.
- - Descriptive text on verso of plates.
- - LC copy imperfect: Cumanae Sibyllae antrum (v. 3, no. 37), Venetiae (v. 5, no. 60), Neapolis (v. 5, no. 65), Pappa Ungar. pl. (v. 6, no. 35), and Praemislia Polon (v. 6, no. 52) wanting.
- 1 atlas (6 v. in 3) : hand col. ill., hand col. maps (some folded) ; 43 cm.
- Call Number
- G1028 .B7 1612
- G1028 .B7 1612 Copy 2 Liber primus and Liber secundus only. Uncolored.
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g3200m gct00128a http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3200m.gct00128a
- g3200m gct00128b http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3200m.gct00128b
- g3200m gct00128c http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3200m.gct00128c
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.