Maps [Manuscript maps that were assembled by Egbert Benson and sent in 1802 to Rufus King, United States minister to Great Britain, in order to facilitate negotiations over disputed international boundary between Maine and New Brunswick].
- [Manuscript maps that were assembled by Egbert Benson and sent in 1802 to Rufus King, United States minister to Great Britain, in order to facilitate negotiations over disputed international boundary between Maine and New Brunswick].
- Contributor Names
- Benson, Egbert, 1746-1833.
- King, Rufus, 1755-1827.
- Mitchell, John, 1711-1768.
- Champlain, Samuel de, 1574-1635.
- Jones, B. R. (Benjamin Richards), active 1804-1810.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Maine--Boundaries--New Brunswick--Maps
- - New Brunswick--Boundaries--Maine--Maps
- - Saint Croix Island (Me.)--Maps
- - Saint Croix River Region (Me. and N.B.)--Maps
- - Passamaquoddy Bay Region (N.B. and Me.)--Maps
- - Manuscript maps
- - United States--Maine
- - Canada--New Brunswick
- - United States--Maine--Saint Croix Island
- - United States--Maine--Saint Croix River Region
- - Canada--New Brunswick--Saint Croix River Region
- - United States--Maine--Passamaquoddy Bay River Region
- - Canada--New Brunswick--Passamaquoddy Bay River Region
- - Depths shown by soundings on Champlain's map of Saint Croix Island and vicinity.
- - Champlain's map of Saint Croix Island and vicinity in French. Other 3 maps in English.
- - Title supplied by cataloger.
- - Dealer's catalog: Each [map] possibly executed by a different hand.
- - Pen-and-ink and watercolor.
- - Accompanied by manuscript explaining 1798 decision on location of Saint Croix River (7 sheets ; each 31 x 21 cm.), manuscript letter from Benson to unidentified recipient (1 sheet ; 26 x 21 cm.), cover sheet bearing manuscript title of "Case/St. Croix boundary/sent to R.K. by the author E.B." (1 sheet ; 22 x 36 cm.), and folder (24 x 32 cm.) and sheet (28 x 22 cm.) bearing typed description of the maps and text.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Imperfect: Brittle, stained.
- - Vault
- - Acquisitions control no.: 2010-001
- 4 ms. maps : some hand col. ; 32 x 31 cm. or smaller.
- Call Number
- G3731.F2 svar .M3
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.