Colton's illustrated & embellished steel plate map of the world on Mercator's projection : compiled from the latest & most authentic sources exhibiting the recent Arctic and Antarctic discoveries & explorations /
Johnson, D. Griffing
- Colton's illustrated & embellished steel plate map of the world on Mercator's projection : compiled from the latest & most authentic sources exhibiting the recent Arctic and Antarctic discoveries & explorations /
- Contributor Names
- Johnson, D. Griffing.
- Created Published
- New York : J.H. Colton, 1854.
- Subject Headings
- - World Maps.
- - Earth.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - Includes illustrations of cities and people along filigreed border.
- - Inset: view of Antarctic Continent as seen by the U.S. Ship Peacock, January 19th, 1840. 4 x 29 cm.
- - List of distances to and from various cities around the world at the top of map.
- - An explanation of projection at the top of map.
- - An explanation of scale in the lower left corner of map.
- - Geographical epochs listed in the lower right of map.
- - "Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1846 by D. Griffing Johnson in the clerks office of the District Court of the Southern District of New York."
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - LC Copy cut and mounted on cloth. DLC
- 1 Map : Hand Col. ; 118 X 176 Cm.
- Call Number
- G3200 1854 .J6
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g3200 ct002354 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3200.ct002354
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.