Maps Military maps of the war of the Rebellion-miscellaneous, [1865-1879].
Townsend, C. Mcd. (Curtis McDonald)
United States. War Department
- Military maps of the war of the Rebellion-miscellaneous, [1865-1879].
- Contributor Names
- United States. War Department.
- Townsend, C. McD. (Curtis McDonald), 1856-1941.
- Created / Published
- [Washington : Secretary of War, Office of the Chief of Engineers, U.S. Army, 1879]
- Subject Headings
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Campaigns--Maps
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Battlefields--Maps
- - Fortification--United States--History--19th century--Maps
- - Military maps
- - United States
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 100
- - Description derived from published bibliography.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.
- - Relief shown by hachures and spot heights on some maps. Depths shown by contours on some maps.
- - Title from cover (on mounted label).
- - Maps dated from 1865 to 1879.
- - Bound collection of maps presented to the Library of Congress by Col. C.M. Townsend on October 22, 1940. Collection includes a map of "Central Virginia showing Lieut. Gen'l. U.S. Grant's campaign and marches of the armies under his command in 1864-5," and maps of the battles and/or fortifications at Island no. 10 and New Madrid, Columbus, Forts Henry and Donelson, Drainsville, Blakely, Carnifex Ferry, Nashville, Spanish Fort, Logan's Cross Roads, Cumberland Gap, Perryville, Pea Ridge, Williamsburg, Shiloh, Roanoke Island, Fort Fisher, Belmont, Iuka, Knoxville, Harpers Ferry, Gauley Bridge, Corinth, Big Black River Bridge, and Hagerstown, Funkstown, Williamsport, and Falling Waters, Maryland.
- - For table of contents see C. E. Le Gear's A list of geographical atlases in the Library of Congress (Washington, Library of Congress, 1973), v. 7, no. 10675.
- - LC copy imperfect: Front cover and some sheets torn apart from spine, title partly illegible on label.
- - LC copy annotated in lead pencil to show title information and paginations.
- 1 atlas (1 v. (unpaged)) : 27 maps (some col., some folded) ; 61 cm.
- Call Number
- G1201.S5 U53 1879
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.