Maps The comprehensive series, historical-geographical maps of the United States /
Modern School Supply Company
Discovery and Exploration
Indians of North America
Spanish American War
Territories and Possessions
War of 1812
- The comprehensive series, historical-geographical maps of the United States /
- Other Title
- Historical-geographical maps of the United States
- Contributor Names
- Modern School Supply Company.
- Created / Published
- Chicago, Ill. : Modern School Supply Co., 
- Subject Headings
- - United States--Historical geography
- - United States--Discovery and exploration
- - United States--Territorial expansion
- - United States--Territories and possessions
- - United States--History--Revolution, 1775-1783
- - Indians of North America--Wars
- - United States--History--War of 1812
- - Mexican War, 1846-1848
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- - Spanish-American War, 1898
- - World War, 1914-1918--History--United States
- - World War, 1939-1945--History--United States
- - Flags--History--United States
- - United States
- - Wall maps.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - "Copyright by E.W.A. Rowles"--On map sheets.
- - Publication date inferred from rubber-stamped date: Dec. 1-1919.
- - Sheet edges mounted on cloth backing.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - 1. Early voyages and discoveries -- 2. Distribution of Indian families and tribes -- 3. Explorations of the Spanish -- 4. Explorations of the French -- 5. Explorations of the English -- 6. Early land grants -- 7. New England grants-New England colonies -- 8. Middle Atlantic grants-Middle Atlantic colonies -- 9. Southern grants-Southern colonies -- 10. Early settlements -- 11. Claims before and after French and Indian Wars -- 12. French and Indian Wars -- 13. Our country at the beginning of Revolutionary War -- 14. The Revolution in the north -- 15. The Revolution in the south -- 16. Important vicinities in the revolution -- 17. Results of the revolution-Treaty of Paris 1783 -- 18. Land claims of the states-Territorial formation 1783-1812 -- 19. Disputed claims, boundaries and purchases 1803-1819 -- 20. Explorations in the West 1804-1845 -- 21. The War of 1812-The four important theaters -- 22. The Missouri Compromise 1820 -- 23. Our country in 1837 -- 24. Settlements of northern boundary disputes 1783-1872 -- 25. United States at beginning of Mexican War 1846 -- 26. The Mexican War 1846-1848 -- 27. Results of the Mexican War 1848 -- 28. The compromise of 1850 -- 29. Kansas-Nebraska Bill 1854 -- 30. United States at beginning of Civil War 1861 -- 31. The Civil War-first year 1861-1862 -- 32. The Civil War-second year 1862-1863 -- 33. The Civil War-third year 1863-1864 -- 34. The Civil War-fourth year 1864-1865 -- 35. Spanish-American War 1898 -- 36. Territorial growth on continental United States -- 37. Admission of states -- 38. The United States at present -- 39. The greater United States -- 40. The United States in relief -- 41. Physical features of the United States -- 42. The United States in commercial relation to the world -- 43. Development of railroads and canals -- 44. Trails and highways -- 45. The westward movement -- 46. The United States in the World War -- 47. The United States in the World War -- 48. Evolution of the United States flag.
- - Some maps include inset.
- - Includes brief description for period shown on each map and col. ill.
- - Maps nos. 31, 32, 33, and 34 published separately in LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.) under entry nos. 31, 43, 52, and 77.8 respectively.
- - LC copy imperfect: Torn along fold lines and margins of some sheets. DLC
- 48 maps : col. ; 65 x 106 cm.
- Call Number
- G3701.S1 s2600 .M6
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g3701s cw0031000 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3701s.cw0031000
- g3701s cw0043000 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3701s.cw0043000
- g3701s cw0052000 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3701s.cw0052000
- g3701s cw0077800 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3701s.cw0077800
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The maps in the Civil War Maps materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Lines: use the following as appropriate
Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division
Library of Virginia, Map Collection
The Virginia Historical Society
Citing Primary Sources on the Teachers Page.
How to Order Reproductions
Geography and Map Division
Photographic copies of maps from the Geography and Map Division are available through the Library of Congress Photoduplication Service. These reproductions are made from digital images. (Digital reproductions in TIFF format are also available.)
The Photoduplication Service estimates that it takes 3-6 weeks to complete an order. To request a reproduction:
Take down the DIGITAL ID number and the TITLE from the bibliographic description.
Consult the Photoduplication Service for pricing details and order forms: http://www.loc.gov/preserv/pds/
Contact the Photoduplication Service to place an order:
Library of Virginia
The Library of Virginia's Photographic and Digital Imaging Services department offers a variety of choices for reproductions:
- Digital images transferred to CD-ROM (PC or MAC compatible)
- Full size inkjet prints
- 8 x 10 dye sublimation prints (suitable for publication)
Please direct all inquiries regarding the duplication of the Library of Virginia's Civil War map collection to any of the following:
- Regular mail
The Library of Virginia
Archives Research Services
800 East Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Tuesday through Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. EDT
Please include your name, address, daytime phone number, the name of the map and the LVA item number (ex.: LVA000125) in all correspondence.
Costs for duplication vary. Service and use fees may apply. Permission to reproduce, publish, or exhibit materials from the Library of Virginiaâ€™s collections must be obtained from Archives Research Services.
Acquiring copies of materials in any format from the Archives does not confer the right to recopy, reproduce, publish, or exhibit them without the express written consent of the Library, or the holder of copyright to those materials.
Virginia Historical Society
To request copies of these maps, please contact Stephanie Jacobe (firstname.lastname@example.org) or visit the VHS website (www.vahistorical.org) for more information. Images will be available as digital files or prints, and a price list is posted on the site
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.