Maps General diagram : [western Philadelphia city and adjacent portions of Delaware and Montgomery counties, Pennsylvania].
- General diagram : [western Philadelphia city and adjacent portions of Delaware and Montgomery counties, Pennsylvania].
- Contributor Names
- United States Coast Survey.
- Bache, A. D. (Alexander Dallas), 1806-1867.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Philadelphia (Pa.)--Defenses--Planning--Maps
- - Philadelphia (Pa.)--Maps, Manuscript
- - Philadelphia (Pa.)--Maps, Topographic
- - Philadelphia Suburban Area (Pa.)--Maps, Manuscript
- - Philadelphia Suburban Area (Pa.)--Maps, Topographic
- - Fortification--Pennsylvania--Philadelphia--Maps
- - Fortification--Pennsylvania--Philadelphia Suburban Area--Maps
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Philadelphia
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Philadelphia Suburban Area
- - Topographic map showing proposed and existing Civil-War batteries and defensive positions immediately west of Philadelphia.
- - Relief shown by contours and hachures.
- - Title from southern sheet.
- - Partial tracing of the 1863 ms. topographic map showing 1st- and 2nd-class fortifications at Philadelphia (CW 358.22).
- - Oriented with north to the right.
- - Pen-and-ink, red ink (contours), and watercolors.
- - Drawn in 2 segments (sheets): [Northern] -- [Southern].
- - "No. 2866" [north sheet] and "No. 2867" [south sheet] (former Coast Survey numbers) handwritten in ink at lower right corner of each sheet; annotated adhesive labels affixed to sheets to the right of both handwritten numbers: 854W 1863?
- - Sheets imperfect: Fold-lined.
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 358.2
- - Accompanied by 11 ms. local-area maps on tracing linen showing additional details: [1. Fairmount Park vicinity, Philadelphia] -- [2. Paschall subdivision, Philadelphia] (2 copies) -- [3. Haddington subdivision, Haverford Road, Philadelphia] -- [4. Haddington subdivision, Hunter's Lane, Philadelphia] (2 copies) -- [5. West Philadelphia] (signed "R.M. Bache" in pencil at lower left corner) -- [6. Darby, Delaware County] (2 copies) -- [7. Upper Darby, Delaware County] (2 copies).
- - Both principal sheets include pen-and-ink bar "Scale of miles".
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 ms. map on 2 sheets : col., tracing linen ; sheets 143 x 273 cm. and 129 x 189 cm.
- Call Number
- G3824.P5S5 1863 .U51
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.