Maps General diagram : [western Philadelphia city and adjacent portions of Delaware and Montgomery counties, Pennsylvania].
- General diagram : [western Philadelphia city and adjacent portions of Delaware and Montgomery counties, Pennsylvania].
- Contributor Names
- United States Coast Survey.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Philadelphia (Pa.)--Defenses--Planning--Maps
- - Philadelphia (Pa.)--Maps, Manuscript
- - Philadelphia (Pa.)--Maps, Topographic
- - Philadelphia Suburban Area (Pa.)--Maps, Manuscript
- - Philadelphia Suburban Area (Pa.)--Maps, Topographic
- - Fortification--Pennsylvania--Philadelphia--Maps
- - Fortification--Pennsylvania--Philadelphia Suburban Area--Maps
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Philadelphia
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Philadelphia Suburban Area
- - Topographic map showing proposed and existing Civil-War batteries and defensive positions immediately west of Philadelphia.
- - Relief shown by contours and hachures.
- - Title from southern sheet.
- - Partial tracing of the 1863 ms. topographic map showing 1st- and 2nd-class fortifications at Philadelphia (CW 358.22).
- - Oriented with north to the right.
- - Pen-and-ink, red ink (contours), and watercolors.
- - Drawn in 2 segments (sheets): [Northern] -- [Southern].
- - "No. 2866" [north sheet] and "No. 2867" [south sheet] (former Coast Survey numbers) handwritten in ink at lower right corner of each sheet; annotated adhesive labels affixed to sheets to the right of both handwritten numbers: 854W 1863?
- - Sheets imperfect: Fold-lined.
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 358.2
- - Accompanied by 11 ms. local-area maps on tracing linen showing additional details: [1. Fairmount Park vicinity, Philadelphia] -- [2. Paschall subdivision, Philadelphia] (2 copies) -- [3. Haddington subdivision, Haverford Road, Philadelphia] -- [4. Haddington subdivision, Hunter's Lane, Philadelphia] (2 copies) -- [5. West Philadelphia] (signed "R.M. Bache" in pencil at lower left corner) -- [6. Darby, Delaware County] (2 copies) -- [7. Upper Darby, Delaware County] (2 copies).
- - Both principal sheets include pen-and-ink bar "Scale of miles".
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 ms. map on 2 sheets : col., tracing linen ; sheets 143 x 273 cm. and 129 x 189 cm.
- Call Number
- G3824.P5S5 1863 .U51
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g3824pm gcw0358200 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3824pm.gcw0358200
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The maps in the Civil War Maps materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Lines: use the following as appropriate
Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division
Library of Virginia, Map Collection
The Virginia Historical Society
Citing Primary Sources on the Teachers Page.
How to Order Reproductions
Geography and Map Division
Photographic copies of maps from the Geography and Map Division are available through the Library of Congress Photoduplication Service. These reproductions are made from digital images. (Digital reproductions in TIFF format are also available.)
The Photoduplication Service estimates that it takes 3-6 weeks to complete an order. To request a reproduction:
Take down the DIGITAL ID number and the TITLE from the bibliographic description.
Consult the Photoduplication Service for pricing details and order forms: http://www.loc.gov/preserv/pds/
Contact the Photoduplication Service to place an order:
Library of Virginia
The Library of Virginia's Photographic and Digital Imaging Services department offers a variety of choices for reproductions:
- Digital images transferred to CD-ROM (PC or MAC compatible)
- Full size inkjet prints
- 8 x 10 dye sublimation prints (suitable for publication)
Please direct all inquiries regarding the duplication of the Library of Virginia's Civil War map collection to any of the following:
- Regular mail
The Library of Virginia
Archives Research Services
800 East Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Tuesday through Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. EDT
Please include your name, address, daytime phone number, the name of the map and the LVA item number (ex.: LVA000125) in all correspondence.
Costs for duplication vary. Service and use fees may apply. Permission to reproduce, publish, or exhibit materials from the Library of Virginiaâ€™s collections must be obtained from Archives Research Services.
Acquiring copies of materials in any format from the Archives does not confer the right to recopy, reproduce, publish, or exhibit them without the express written consent of the Library, or the holder of copyright to those materials.
Virginia Historical Society
To request copies of these maps, please contact Stephanie Jacobe (email@example.com) or visit the VHS website (www.vahistorical.org External) for more information. Images will be available as digital files or prints, and a price list is posted on the site
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.