Maps [Rasquño de las provincias de la Nuevo Mexico /
Discovery and Exploration
Early Works to 1800
Indians of North America
Oñate, Juan De
- [Rasquño de las provincias de la Nuevo Mexico /
- Other Title
- Photograph of Mapa del Nuevo Mexico / por el cosmografo Enrico Martinez
- Contributor Names
- Martínez, Enrico, -1632.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - New Spain--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800--Facsimiles
- - North America--Discovery and exploration--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800--Facsimiles
- - Indians of North America--West (U.S.)--Maps
- - Spain--Colonies--North America--Maps
- - New Mexico--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800--Facsimiles
- - Oñate, Juan de,--1549?-1624--Travel--Maps
- - New Spain
- - North America
- - United States--New Mexico
- - United States--West
- - Black and white photograph of manuscript map in the Archivo General de Indias, Seville, Spain.
- - Shows the travel of Juan de Oñate through northern Mexico, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas between 1598 and 1602.
- - Title from verso of original.
- - Unpublished facsimile.
- - Original version: 1602? 1 ms. map. Archivo General de Indias, Seville, Spain. Simancas. Descubrimientos. Nuevo Mexico. Descubrimientos, descripciones y poblaciones del Nuevo Mexico en Nuevo España, 1568 a 1602. Est. 1, Caj. 1. Leg. 3/22, Patronato 12.
- - Original described in: Relación descriptiva de los mapas, planos, & de México y Floridas / Pedro Torres Lanzas. Sevilla : Impr. de El Mercantil, 1900. vol. 1, p. 44, no. 49.
- - Lowery, 87
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Facing the map on the recto is a manuscript transcription in ink of the text appearing on the verso of the original.
- - Includes inset showing the gulf coast of Texas and Mexico and numbered list of Spanish colonial settlements and indigenous Native American settlements.
- - In manuscript ink on verso: alternate title, published description reference of original, and provenance of original.
- - Accompanied by additional reproduction of the map (55 x 39 cm.).
- 1 map : mounted on paper ; 27 x 19 cm., on sheet 32 x 45 cm.
- Call Number
- G3292.N4 1602 .M3 1906
- G3292.N4 1602 .M3 1906 Copy 2 Vault : Low 87 Mounted on paper, mounted on cloth, sheet 37 x 45 cm., transcription of text from verso of original on ruled paper, verso blank.
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.