Maps Kun yu wan guo quan tu
Early Works to 1800
- Kun yu wan guo quan tu
- Other Title
- Great universal geographic map
- Great universal geographic map
- Contributor Names
- Ricci, Matteo, 1552-1610.
- Created / Published
- [Beijing, China : Matteo Ricci], 1602.
- Subject Headings
- - World maps--Early works to 1800
- - Relief shown pictorially.
- - Title from Web page (viewed on April 20, 2010).
- - Sheets individually numbered, e.g. Si fu.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - Online version of the map on an exhibition at the Library of Congress that opened from Jan. 12 to April 17, 2010. The main map shows an oval shaped world map, includes insets of astronomical and seasonal maps. On top right is "Seventh Heaven" chart; on bottom right is "Armillary sphere"; on top left is a map of "Northern Hemisphere", "Solar and Lunar Eclipse" chart; and on bottom left is a map of "Southern Hemisphere", map of "Chinese 24 seasonal segments calendar" and "Quantity-day ruler". Accompanied with explaining text for the map and insets. The map covers five continents and four Oceans, Europe (Ou Luo Ba), Africa (Li Wei Ya), South and North America (Nan Bei Ya Mou Li Jia), Asia (Ya Xi Ya), and Antarctica (Mo Wa La Ni Jia); Atlantic (Da Xi Yang), Pacific Ocean (Da Dong Yang), Indian Ocean (Xiao Xi Yang), and Arctic Ocean (Bing Hai).
- - Electronic reproduction. Washington, D.C. : Geography & Maps Division, Library of Congress, 2010. Mode of access: World Wide Web. Reproduction made from a copy owned by: James Ford Bell Foundation.
- - Exhibited: Rare 1602 World Map, the First Map in Chinese to Show the Americas, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C., Jan. 12 to April 17, 2010.
- - "每一度廣二百五十里".
- - 主图为椭圆形的世界地图， 并附有小幅的天文图和地理图：右上角有九重天图， 右下角有天地仪图， 左上角有赤道北地半球之图和日蚀图， 月蚀图， 左下角有 赤道南地半球之图和中气图， 另有量天尺附于主图（第四幅）的左下方。此图展现出五大洲和四大洋， 欧邏巴 （欧洲)， 利未亞（非洲）， 南北亞墨利加（南北美洲），亞洲（亞細亞），墨瓦腊泥加（南极洲），大西洋， 大东洋 （太平洋），小西洋（印度洋），冰海（北冰洋).
- 1 map on 6 panels ; 167.5 x 371.2 cm., sheets each 167 x 61.5 cm. or smaller.
- Call Number
- Digital Id
- g3200 ex000006Za http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3200.ex000006Za
- g3200 ex000006Zb http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3200.ex000006Zb
- g3200m gex00001 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3200m.gex00001
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.