Maps [Portolan chart of the Mediterranean and connecting seas].
Early Works to 1800
- [Portolan chart of the Mediterranean and connecting seas].
- Created / Published
- [ca. 1550?]
- Subject Headings
- - Nautical charts--Mediterranean Sea--Early works to 1800
- - Seaports--Mediterranean Sea--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - Mediterranean Sea--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - Mediterranean Sea
- - Portolan chart with seaport names given for all coastlines. Does not cover Black Sea.
- - Title devised by cataloguer.
- - Oriented with north to the right (indicated by fleurs-de-lys).
- - Contains 11 compass roses in a circle centered on Sicily, 2 additional roses in Iberia, and rhumb lines connecting all roses and some central points without roses.
- - Manuscript: pen-and-ink (brown) and dark watercolors.
- - LC Nautical charts on vellum, 12.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Includes 4 scale bars (unidentified) and a large compass rose at top (in neck of sheet) containing a drawing of the Madonna and Child.
- 1 ms. map : col., vellum ; 50 x 19 cm., on sheet 51 x 20 cm., matted and mounted between transparent lucite sheets 64 x 39 cm., sealed by tape at edges.
- Call Number
- G5672.M4P5 1550 .P6
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g5672m ct003136 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g5672m.ct003136
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.