Books Whole booke of Psalmes faithfully translated into English metre.
Articles and Essays with this item:
Music in Churches
- Whole booke of Psalmes faithfully translated into English metre.
- Other Title
- bay psalm book
- whole booke of psalmes ...
- Created / Published
- [Cambridge, Mass.] : Imprinted [by S. Daye, 1640]
- Subject Headings
- - Bible.--Psalms--Paraphrases, English
- - Music in churches
- - Psalmody
- - United States--Massachusetts--Cambridge
- - The first book printed in British North America, commonly known as the Bay Psalm book. Translated by Richard Mather, John Eliot, and Thomas Weld, among others. The preface is possibly by Mather, but could be by John Cotton. Cf. Zoltan Haraszti, The enigma of the Bay Psalm book, 1956, p. 12-27.
- - Printed at the press in Cambridge, Mass., supervised by Stephen Day (variously Daye). Day's son Matthew may have been responsible for the actual printing. Cf. ESTC.
- - Title from the Bay Psalm book, a facsim, reprint of the first ed. of 1640 [Chicago, 1956].
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - Evans 4
- - ESTC (RLIN) W15144
- - NUC pre-1956 NBi 0026282
- - "Faults escaped in printing."--p. .
- - LC copy is the Van Sinderen copy, described in the Quarterly Journal of the Library of Congress, v. 24, 1967, p. 186-, 204-205; see also Zoltán Haraszti, The enigma of the Bay Psalm book [Chicago, 1956] chapter X. DLC
- - LC copy imperfect: t.p. and 18 leaves wanting. DLC
- - LC copy accompanied by envelope containing related clippings, photocopies, and notes related to LC's copy, ca. 35 items. DLC
-  p. ; 19 cm. (4to)
- Call Number
- BS1440 .B4 1640
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number