Maps A new and exact map of the island of St. Christopher in America, according to an actual and accurate survey made in the year 1753. Describing the several parishes, with their respective limits, contents, & churches; also the high ways, the situation of every gentleman's plantation, mills, and houses; with the rivers, and gutts. Likewise the bays, roads, rocks, shoals and soundings that surround the whole.
Administrative and Political Divisions
Early Works to 1800
- A new and exact map of the island of St. Christopher in America, according to an actual and accurate survey made in the year 1753. Describing the several parishes, with their respective limits, contents, & churches; also the high ways, the situation of every gentleman's plantation, mills, and houses; with the rivers, and gutts. Likewise the bays, roads, rocks, shoals and soundings that surround the whole.
- Contributor Names
- Baker, Samuel, Lieutenant.
- Mynde, J.
- Bowles, Carington, 1724-1793.
- Wilkinson, Robert, -approximately 1825.
- Created / Published
- London, Printed for Carington Bowles ... and Robt. Wilkinson ... [1753?]
- Subject Headings
- - Saint Kitts--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Saint Kitts--Administrative and political divisions--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Saint Kitts
- Early maps
- - Scale ca. 1:32,000.
- - Hand colored.
- - Relief shown pictorially. Depths shown in fathoms.
- - LC Maps of North America, 1750-1789, 1985
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Inscribed: To the Right Honble. the Lords Commissioners ... This map is most humbly dedicated ... Saml. Baker.
- - Includes statistical information, "An alphabetical list of the subscribers names," and inset "The Leeward Caribee Island."
- - Annotated on verso: 20.--21.
- - Vault
- - AACR2: 651/1; 651/2; 700/2; 700/3
- col. map 115 x 142 cm. on 2 sheets 64 x 145 cm.
- Call Number
- G5042.S2 1753 .B3
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.