Maps A map of the middle British colonies in North America. First published by Lewis Evans, of Philadelphia, in 1755; and since corrected and improved, as also extended, with the addition of New England, and bordering parts of Canada; from actual surveys now lying at the Board of Trade.
Early Works to 1800
- A map of the middle British colonies in North America. First published by Lewis Evans, of Philadelphia, in 1755; and since corrected and improved, as also extended, with the addition of New England, and bordering parts of Canada; from actual surveys now lying at the Board of Trade.
- Contributor Names
- Pownall, Thomas, 1722-1805.
- Created / Published
- London, Printed & published ... for J. Almon, 1776.
- Subject Headings
- - Northeastern States--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - British--America--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - United States--Northeastern States
- - Scale ca. 1:2,350,000.
- - Hand colored.
- - Prime meridian: London and Philadelphia.
- - Relief shown pictorially.
- - Includes text, list of townships, distance charts, and inset "A sketch of the remaining part of Ohio R. &c."
- - Accompanied by the author's: A topographical description of such parts of North America as are contained in the (annexed) map of the middle British colonies, &c. in North America. vi, 46, 16 p.
- - LC Maps of North America, 1750-1789, 710
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Vault
- - AACR2
- col. map 49 x 83 cm.
- Call Number
- G3710 1776 .P61
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g3710 ar071000 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3710.ar071000
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.