Maps A new general chart of the West Indies, from the latest marine journals and surveys; regulated and ascertained by astronomical observations. I, the subscriber, do certify that I have carefully examined this chart copied from a London publication agreeable to Act of Parliament and find it a true and accurate copy of the original.
Early Works to 1800
- A new general chart of the West Indies, from the latest marine journals and surveys; regulated and ascertained by astronomical observations. I, the subscriber, do certify that I have carefully examined this chart copied from a London publication agreeable to Act of Parliament and find it a true and accurate copy of the original.
- Contributor Names
- Carleton, Osgood, 1742-1816.
- Norman, William, -1807.
- Created / Published
- Boston, Printed & sold by W. Norman 
- Subject Headings
- - Caribbean Area--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - West Indies--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Nautical charts--Caribbean Area--Early works to 1800
- - Nautical charts--West Indies--Early works to 1800
- - Caribbean Area
- - West Indies
- - Scale ca. 1:3,150,000.
- - Prime meridian: London and Ferro.
- - Depths shown by soundings.
- - Also shows Florida, portions of Mexico, Central America, and South America.
- - Appears in John William's The American pilot ... 1792.
- - Labels mounted on verso: Chart of the West Indies. 1789.
- - LC Maps of North America, 1750-1789, 1746
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - AACR2
- - Vault
- map 69 x 100 cm.
- Call Number
- G4390 1789 .C3
- G4390 1789 .C3 Copy 2 Vault Imperfect, bottom half of map is missing. From William Norman's The American pilot ... 1798.
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g4390 ar174600 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g4390.ar174600
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.