[Eight survey tracts along the Kanawha River, W.Va. showing land granted to George Washington and others.
Articles and Essays with this item:
Kanawha River Valley
Kanawha River Valley
Kanawha River Valley (W. Va.)
- [Eight survey tracts along the Kanawha River, W.Va. showing land granted to George Washington and others.
- Contributor Names
- Washington, George, 1732 to 1799.
- Created Published
- Subject Headings
- - Real Property West Virginia Kanawha River Valley
- - Land Grants West Virginia Kanawha River Valley
- - Kanawha River Valley (W. Va.)
- - United States West Virginia Kanawha River Valley
- - Scale ca. 1:40,000.
- - Manuscript, pen-and-ink.
- - Imperfect: Deteriorated along old fold lines.
- - Oriented with north toward the lower left.
- - Has watermarks.
- - Individual surveys dated 1771 through 1774, performed by "Mr. Saml. Lewis" and "Wm. Crawford" with the assistance of John Floyd.
- - Authorship of the map as a composite work ascribed to George Washington in Lawrence Martin's The George Washington atlas.
- - LC Maps of North America, 1750-1789, 1448
- - Includes descriptive index-tables for survey tracts 1-5 and 7-8.
- - Accompanied by a survey certificate describing survey tracts 6 and 7.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- Map 166 X 75 Cm. on 3 Sheets 131 X 60 Cm. Or Smaller.
- Call Number
- G3892.K3G46 1774 .W3
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g3892k ct000363 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3892k.ct000363
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.