Maps A survey of the roads of the United States of America /
Articles and Essays with this item:
Middle Atlantic States
Middle Atlantic States
- A survey of the roads of the United States of America /
- Contributor Names
- Colles, Christopher, 1738-1816.
- Created / Published
- [New York] : Christopher Colles, 1789.
- Subject Headings
- - Roads--United States
- - Roads--Middle Atlantic States
- - United States
- - United States--Middle Atlantic States
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - Orientation varies.
- - Phillips, 1326
- - Maps no. 34-39 are believed to never have been engraved as they are wanting in all known copies.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - On original paper cover in manuscript ink: "Collis's plan of the roads throughout the United States."
- - Accompanied by broadside: Proposals for publishing A survey of the roads of the United States of America / by Christopher Colles (conserved and bound in, 29 x 20 cm.).
- - Additionally accompanied by manuscript title page for this atlas from the Peter Force Collection (on sheet 21 x 12 cm.) and additional page with manuscript notes by Peter Force and George H. Moore, dated 1846 (on sheet 21 x 13 cm.). These 2 sheets and exhibit card in envelope, in slipcase, housed in container with Copy 2.
- - Conserved.
- 1 atlas (86 [i.e. 84] leaves) : 83 maps ; 24 cm.
- Call Number
- G1201.P2 C6 1789
- G1201.P2 C6 1789 Copy 2 Vault (86 [i.e. 82] leaves) ; 23 cm. Conserved. Accompanying broadside housed in box, filed on shelf next to this copy.
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g3701pm gct00276a http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3701pm.gct00276a
- g3701pm gct00276b http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3701pm.gct00276b
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Transportation and Communication Cartographic Items
Geography and Map Division