Maps Mitchell's map of the United States : showing the principal travelling turnpike and common roads, on which are given the distances in miles from one place to another, also the courses of the canals & rail roads throughout the country, carefully compiled from the best authorities.
Mitchell, S. Augustus
Mitchell, S. Augustus (Samuel Augustus)
- Mitchell's map of the United States : showing the principal travelling turnpike and common roads, on which are given the distances in miles from one place to another, also the courses of the canals & rail roads throughout the country, carefully compiled from the best authorities.
- Contributor Names
- Mitchell, S. Augustus (Samuel Augustus), 1792-1868.
- Created / Published
- Philadelphia : S.A. Mitchell ; Sold by Mitchell & Hinman, [1836?]
- Subject Headings
- - United States--Maps
- - United States
- - Shows longitude west from Greenwich and Washington.
- - "Entered according to Act of Congress, in the year 1835, by S. Augustus Mitchell ..."
- - The paper edition of this map appears in Bishop Davenport's A New Gazetteer, or Geographical Dictionary of North America . . . (Philadelphia, 1836). [From published bibliography]
- - Cloth map.
- - LC Railroad maps, 5
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Includes distance table below the title.
- - Insets: Environs of Niagara Falls. 7 x 7 cm.--Environs of Baltimore and Washington. 9 x 7 cm.--Environs of Charleston. 9 x 6 cm.--Environs of Hartford and New Haven. 3 x 3 cm.--Environs of Albany. 7 x 7 cm.--Environs of Boston. 9 x 7 cm.--Environs of New York. 9 x 6 cm.--Environs of Philadelphia. 9 x 6 cm. [From published bibliography]
- - LC copy imperfect: Faded and stained.
- - LC copy has the name "Emeline Miller" embroidered in lower right corner of sheet and the name "E. Miller" stamped on, in upper left corner of sheet.
- - Vault
- 1 map : cloth ; 45 x 58 cm., on sheet 73 x 80 cm.
- Call Number
- G3700 1836 .M51
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g3700 rr000050 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3700.rr000050
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
Rights and Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Electronic Sources on the Learning Page.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.