Maps Topographical map of the District of Columbia /
Arlington County (Va.)
District of Columbia
- Topographical map of the District of Columbia /
- Contributor Names
- Boschke, A.
- Created / Published
- Washington : D. McClelland, Blanchard & Mohun, 1861.
- Subject Headings
- - Washington (D.C.)--Maps, Topographic
- - Real property--Washington (D.C.)--Maps
- - Arlington County (Va.)--Maps
- - United States--District of Columbia--Washington
- - United States--Virginia--Arlington County
- - Partial cadastral map showing some householders' names, individual buildings, and vegetation.
- - Relief shown by contours and hachures. Depths shown by contours and soundings.
- - Also covers Virginia shoreline zone.
- - "Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1861, by D. McClelland, Blanchard & Mohun, Hugh B. Sweeny, and Thos. Blagden, in the Clerks Office of the District Court of the District of Columbia."
- - Oriented with north toward the upper left.
- - Originally printed on 2 sheets.
- - LC Civil War maps (2nd ed.) 678.5
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - LC copies variously sectioned, fold-lined, and mounted on cloth backing. Some copies also soiled, torn, and missing small sections. Copy 6 missing north half.
- - Phillips. Washington 947
- - 6 copies
- - Vault
- - DCP
- 1 map ; 99 x 103 cm.
- Call Number
- G3850 1861 .B6
- G3850 1861 .B6 Copy 2
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g3850 cw0678500 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3850.cw0678500
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The maps in the Civil War Maps materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Lines: use the following as appropriate
Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division
Library of Virginia, Map Collection
The Virginia Historical Society
Citing Primary Sources on the Teachers Page.
How to Order Reproductions
Geography and Map Division
Photographic copies of maps from the Geography and Map Division are available through the Library of Congress Photoduplication Service. These reproductions are made from digital images. (Digital reproductions in TIFF format are also available.)
The Photoduplication Service estimates that it takes 3-6 weeks to complete an order. To request a reproduction:
Take down the DIGITAL ID number and the TITLE from the bibliographic description.
Consult the Photoduplication Service for pricing details and order forms: http://www.loc.gov/preserv/pds/
Contact the Photoduplication Service to place an order:
Library of Virginia
The Library of Virginia's Photographic and Digital Imaging Services department offers a variety of choices for reproductions:
- Digital images transferred to CD-ROM (PC or MAC compatible)
- Full size inkjet prints
- 8 x 10 dye sublimation prints (suitable for publication)
Please direct all inquiries regarding the duplication of the Library of Virginia's Civil War map collection to any of the following:
- Regular mail
The Library of Virginia
Archives Research Services
800 East Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Tuesday through Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. EDT
Please include your name, address, daytime phone number, the name of the map and the LVA item number (ex.: LVA000125) in all correspondence.
Costs for duplication vary. Service and use fees may apply. Permission to reproduce, publish, or exhibit materials from the Library of Virginiaâ€™s collections must be obtained from Archives Research Services.
Acquiring copies of materials in any format from the Archives does not confer the right to recopy, reproduce, publish, or exhibit them without the express written consent of the Library, or the holder of copyright to those materials.
Virginia Historical Society
To request copies of these maps, please contact Stephanie Jacobe (firstname.lastname@example.org) or visit the VHS website (www.vahistorical.org External) for more information. Images will be available as digital files or prints, and a price list is posted on the site
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.