Maps Plan of the city intended for the permanent seat of the government of t[he] United States : projected agreeable to the direction of the President of the United States, in pursuance of an act of Congress passed the sixteenth day of July, MDCCXC, "establishing the permanent seat on the bank of the Potowmac" : [Washington D.C.] /
L'Enfant, Pierre Charles
U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey
United States. Commissioner of Public Buildings
District of Columbia
Early Works to 1800
- Plan of the city intended for the permanent seat of the government of t[he] United States : projected agreeable to the direction of the President of the United States, in pursuance of an act of Congress passed the sixteenth day of July, MDCCXC, "establishing the permanent seat on the bank of the Potowmac" : [Washington D.C.] /
- Contributor Names
- L'Enfant, Pierre Charles, 1754-1825.
- U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey.
- United States. Commissioner of Public Buildings.
- Created / Published
- [Washington] : United States Coast and Geodetic Survey, 
- Subject Headings
- - Washington (D.C.)--Maps--Early works to 1800--Facsimiles
- - United States--District of Columbia--Washington
- - At upper right: Office, Commissioner of Public Buildings, D.C.
- - Lacks printer's statement.
- - Facsim. of ms. L'Enfant plan.
- - Original version: .
- - Includes texts containing letters dated "Washington ... 1887," text printed below "N.I.," notes, descriptive index of "References," and U.S.C. & G.S. insigne.
- - At lower right: N.I.
- - In right upper margin: No. 3035a price 50 cents.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - LC copies fold-lined, sectioned, and mounted on cloth backing. Copy 2 also extensively annotated in red ink to show later buildings and streetcar lines and has red-ink index of "References" pasted on.
- - 2 copies
- - DCP
- 1 map : col. ; 70 x 82 cm., on sheet 78 x 119 cm.
- Call Number
- G3850 1791 .L4 1887
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.