Maps Map of n. eastern Virginia and vicinity of Washington /
- Map of n. eastern Virginia and vicinity of Washington /
- Contributor Names
- United States. Corps of Topographical Engineers.
- McDowell, Irvin, 1818-1885.
- Schedler, J. (Joseph)
- Created / Published
- [Washington, D.C.? : s.n., 1862]
- Subject Headings
- - Virginia--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Fortification--Virginia--Maps
- - Washington (D.C.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Washington Metropolitan Area--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Fortification--Washington (D.C.)--Maps
- - Fortification--Washington Metropolitan Area--Maps
- - Virginia--Maps, Topographic
- - Washington (D.C.)--Maps, Topographic
- - Washington Metropolitan Area--Maps, Topographic
- - United States--Virginia
- - United States--District of Columbia--Washington
- - United States--District of Columbia--Washington Metropolitan Area
- - Relief shown by hachures. Depths shown by soundings.
- - Shows forts and batteries in the District of Columbia and immediate vicinity.
- - At head of title: Surveys for military defences.
- - LC copy annotated in black ink and colored inks to show troop positions and engagements. Annotated in black ink on verso: Major General Sigel to Colonel L.P. di Cesnola, Chantilly, Novbr. 1862. Bookplate of "Palma di Cesnola" mounted on verso.
- - Includes "Data used in compilation," table of "Elevations above tide water," and "Geological profile of Loudoun County."
- - LC Civil War maps (2nd ed.) 467
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Call no. cited in LC Civil War maps (2nd ed.): G3882.N6S5 1862 .U5 Vault.
- - Vault
- - DCP
- - ARP
- 1 map on 4 sheets : dissected and mounted on linen ; 166 x 125 cm., sheets 84 x 63 cm. and 83 x 63 cm., folded in covers 17 x 10 cm.
- Call Number
- G3881.S5 1862 .U51
- G3881.S5 1862 .U51 Vault : CW 467 Copy 2 not dissected and lacks covers; annotated in black ink to show the following forts in vicinity of Washington, D.C.: De Russy, Slemmer, Thayer, Davis, Baker, Wagner, Riketts [i.e. Ricketts], and Snyder; the name of Fort Towson printed on the map altered in black ink to show Fort Totten; annotated in black ink at head of title "211, L. Sheet 1"; annotated in black ink below title "Transf'd from Office of Chf. Engr. Defenses of Washington, to Engr. Dept. J[a]ny 1866."
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.