Film, Video Three acrobats /
- Three acrobats /
- Vaudeville stage act of two male and one female clown-acrobats who make use of a constructed "break-away" wall of spring-hinged windows and doors. Begins with a male clown in dark tights and leotard with a white clown collar tumbling through the set's upper window, as a second male in a light suitcoat over dark tights and leotard tumbles out the bottom window. Both men have painted faces and wild clown hair. As they chase each other in and around the wall's doors, a dark-haired woman in light tights and leotard, without greasepaint, surreptitiously hits one of the male clowns with a board. That man thinks it is the other male who has struck him, and the chase continues. This business is repeated with a bucket. As the first male clown kicks the other, however, the woman is spotted and blamed for the incident, resulting in a chase between all three "acrobats" in and out of the set's doors.
- From Edison films catalog: The Buffons are artists in their line. They tumble in and out of trick doors, disappear and reappear in unexpected places in most unexpected ways. Sure to amuse the children. 50 feet. $7.50.
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1899.
- Subject Headings
- - Clowning--United States
- - Acrobatics--United States
- - Acrobats--United States
- - Clowns--United States
- - Silent films
- - 20772 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 20Mar1899; 20772.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Performers: The Three Buffons.
- - Duration: 0:34 at 22 fps.
- - Materials listed originate from the paper print chosen best copy of two for digitization; for other holdings on this title, see the M/B/RS Paper Print database.
- - Portion of summary from K.R. Niver, Early motion pictures, 1985, p. 327.
- - Code name (for telegraphic orders) Unbounded.
- - NCN046351; Three acrobats.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 49; Gilbert, D. American vaudeville, 1940, p. 397; AFI cat.: film beginnings, 1893-1910, 1995.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Received: 2/2/95 from LC film lab; ref print; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 12/1/94 from LC film lab; dupe neg; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 3/20/1899; paper pos; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- 1 reel of 1 (48 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. ref print.
- 1 reel of 1 (48 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. dupe neg.
- 1 roll (48 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- Call Number
- FEC 2273 (ref print)
- FPE 7921 (dupe neg)
- LC 844b (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- varsmp 0896 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/varsmp.0896
- Library of Congress Catalog Number