Film, Video Arabian gun twirler /
- Arabian gun twirler /
- A bearded man performs a rifle twirling act on a stage with a painted backdrop of a city street corner. He wears a white turban and a dark two-piece costume of tunic and baggy pants that narrow at the knees; perhaps the costume of an Arab infantryman. The tricks he performs include throwing the spinning rifle in the air and catching it; twirling the gun in front of him, above his head, behind his back, to the side of his torso, and under his leg; and twirling the rifle as he switches hands.
- From Edison films catalog: An interesting exhibit by Hadji Cheriff, of the original Midway Plaisance. Twirls his rifle over shoulder, behind back, under leg, both hands and one hand. 50 feet. $7.50.
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1899.
- Subject Headings
- - Firearms
- - Tricks
- - Arabs--Games--United States
- - Amusements--United States
- - Silent films
- - 20770 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 20Mar1899; 20770.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Performer: Hadji Cheriff.
- - Duration: 0:40 at 18 fps.
- - Materials listed originate from the paper print chosen best copy of two for digitization; for other holdings on this title, see the M/B/RS Paper Print database.
- - Portion of summary from K.R. Niver, Early motion pictures, 1985, p. 11.
- - Cheriff was apparently a performer on the Midway Plaisance of the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, Illinois, perhaps in the "A Street in Cairo" or Turkish village exhibits.
- - Code name (for telegraphic orders) Unbought.
- - NCN046277; Arabian gun twirler.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 49; AFI cat.: film beginnings, 1893-1910, 1995.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Received: 1/21/94 from LC film lab; ref print; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 6/16/93 from LC film lab; dupe neg; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 3/20/1899; paper pos; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- 1 reel of 1 (45 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. ref print.
- 1 reel of 1 (45 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. dupe neg.
- 1 roll (45 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- Call Number
- FEC 2487 (ref print)
- FPE 8484 (dupe neg)
- LC 1301a (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- varsmp 1301 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/varsmp.1301
- Library of Congress Catalog Number