Film, Video Expert bag punching /
Physical Education and Training
- Expert bag punching /
- A man stands on a stage with a painted backdrop of a forest, as if performing a vaudeville act. To the right of the frame is a sign on an easel identifying him as "Gus Keller, Novelty Bag Puncher, New Polo A.A." To the left of the frame is a rack of various punching bags, topped by American flags and a sign identifying the particular skill being exhibited. Keller stands near a large metal frame for the suspended bag being worked, which is also topped with waving American flags. Rather than sporting attire, Keller wears light-colored slacks, shirt, and shoes, with a dark tie tucked in his shirt front and a pair of gloves tucked at his waist. He proceeds to demonstrate seven types of exhibition bag punching, each in separate scenes as described below that are edited together with dissolves.
- From Biograph bulletin no. 14: 102 feet. A remarkable exhibition by Gus Keller, novelty bag puncher of the New Polo Athletic Association. In seven scenes with dissolving effects. A. Single, B. Knee, C. Floor, D. Double, E. Aerial, F. Triple, G. Double Floor.
- Created / Published
- United States : American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1903.
- Subject Headings
- - Bag punching--United States
- - Physical education and training--United States
- - Silent films
- - H33886 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: American Mutoscope & Biograph Co.; 28July1903; H33886.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Camera, G.W. "Billy" Bitzer.
- - Performer: Gus Keller.
- - Duration: 1:30 at 18 fps.
- - Materials listed originate from the paper print chosen best copy of two for digitization; for other holdings on this title, see the M/B/RS Paper Print database.
- - Introduction to Keller's section on "Exhibition bag punching" in W.H. Rothwell's How to punch the bag, 1930: Unbeaten as the World's Champion Amateur Bag Puncher, and holder of the World's Professional Championship (p. 75).
- - Catalog no. 2432; code name (for telegraphic orders) Garzotte.
- - NCN046309; Expert bag punching.
- - Filmed July 20, 1903 in the Biograph New York City studio.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; AFI cat.: film beginnings, 1893-1910, 1995; Biograph bulletins 1896-1908, 1971, p. 102; Biograph photo catalog, v. 5 [MI].
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Received: 11/29/94 from LC film lab; ref print; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 8/9/94 from LC film lab; dupe neg; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 7/28/03; paper pos; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- 1 reel of 1 (101 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. ref print.
- 1 reel of 1 (101 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. dupe neg.
- 1 roll (101 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- Call Number
- FEB 9928 (ref print)
- FPE 7531 (dupe neg)
- LC 1597a (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- varsmp 1597 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/varsmp.1597
- Library of Congress Catalog Number