Film, Video Betsy Ross dance /
- Betsy Ross dance /
- Other Title
- Betsey Ross dance
- Betsy Ross dance (Little Anita)
- Opens on a bare stage with a painted backdrop of an interior theater wall and pillar. From screen right, a woman twirls onstage and performs an enthusiastic dance. It appears she is a woman dressed to look like a little girl, in a short, ruffled dress and sash, tights, and ballet slippers, with long, dark hair worn in curls. Her movements include some with an apparent ballet influence, such as pirouettes and walking on pointe. She also performs various feet and leg movements, leg kicks both to the front and side, spins, and twirls, all the while flouncing and lifting her skirt and smiling coquettishly. She ends by throwing a kiss to the camera as she twirls offstage.
- From R. Snyder, The voice of the city, 1989: The "Betsy Ross Dance," filmed in 1903, shows a young girl in a frilly skirt cut above the knee. As she dances, she kicks her leg, swings her skirt, climbs up on pointe, lifts her skirt and twirls around. The camera catches an occasional glimpse of a garter just above her knee (p. 137).
- Created / Published
- United States : American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1903.
- Subject Headings
- - Dance--United States
- - Dancers--United States
- - Ballet dancing--United States
- - Silent films
- - H32944 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: American Mutoscope & Biograph Co.; 25June1903; H32944.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Camera, G.W. "Billy" Bitzer.
- - Performer: Little Anita.
- - Duration: 1:28 at 16 fps.
- - Materials listed originate from the paper print chosen best copy of two for digitization; for other holdings on this title, see the M/B/RS Paper Print database.
- - Catalog no. 2399; code name (for telegraphic orders) Gartenrohr.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - NCN046280; Betsy Ross dance.
- - Filmed June 18, 1903 in the Biograph New York City studio.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; AFI cat.: film beginnings, 1893-1910, 1995; Biograph bulletins 1896-1908, 1971, p. 88.
- - Received: 11/28/94 from LC film lab; arch pos; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 8/26/94 from LC film lab; arch neg; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 1/10/95 from LC film lab; masterpos; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 6/25/03; paper pos; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- 1 reel of 1 (88 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. arch pos.
- 1 reel of 1 (88 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. arch neg.
- 1 reel of 1 (88 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. masterpos.
- 1 roll (88 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- Call Number
- FPE 7736 (arch pos)
- FPE 7735 (arch neg)
- FPE 7737 (masterpos)
- LC 399b (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- varsmp 0399 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/varsmp.0399
- Library of Congress Catalog Number