Film, Video Cake walk
American Mutoscope and Biograph Company
African American Dance
Afro American Dance
New York (State)
- Cake walk
- Created / Published
- American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, United States, 1903, monographic.
- Subject Headings
- - Dance, Black -- United States
- - Afro-American dance -- United States
- - Dancers -- New York (State) -- New York
- - Silent films
- - Copyright: American Mutoscope & Biograph Co.; 11May1903; H31674.
- - Copyright information taken from K.R. Niver, Early motion pictures; not found in the Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912 or its addenda.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - K.R. Niver credits the Americus Quartet as performers and F.S. Armitage as cameraman, in a Philadelphia shoot on 9/18/1900, information which he apparently found in the Biograph production log. The film shot on that date--no. 1642--is described in the log as "North Amer. outing Cake Walk." In the Biograph photo catalog, however, film no. 1642 is entitled "Ice cream and cake," and shows a group of walking children. The film being described here is instead no. 207, which the Biograph picture catalogue states was shot in the New York studio and which features five dancers instead of a quartet.
- - Duration: 0:24 at 16 fps.
- - Materials listed originate from the paper print chosen best copy of two for digitization; for other holdings on this title, see the M/B/RS Paper Print database.
- - Catalog no. 207; code name (for telegraphic orders) Mugitoris.
- - NCN046285; Cake walk.
- - Sources used: Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; AFI cat.: film beginnings, 1893-1910, 1995.
- - Filmed at the Biograph New York City studio, perhaps on the roof. (venue)
- - Available on the Internet; Library of Congress World Wide Web site (http://lcweb.loc.gov) (additional physical form)
- motion picture
- 1 reel of 1 (24 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. ref print.
- 1 reel of 1 (24 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. dupe neg.
- 1 roll (24 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats