Film, Video Chimmie Hicks at the races /
- Chimmie Hicks at the races /
- Other Title
- Above the limit
- Jimmy Hicks at the races
- Filming of a character sketch by the well-known vaudevillian Charles E. Grapewin. On a bare stage backed by a dark curtain, a man dressed in a three-piece suit and overcoat holds a racing program and excitedly watches a race supposedly taking place offstage. With enthusiastic jumping and other delighted pantomime, he makes it clear his horse has won the race. A second man in a suit and hat enters from stage right and pays Chimmie his winnings, a portion of which the gambler returns to the man for another bet. With the start of the second race, he again watches with rising excitement, but suddenly his face falls and he angrily throws his hat on the ground, having evidently lost this time. The other man returns and collects all of Chimmie's money plus his pocketwatch. The repentant gambler then kneels, shakes his arms to the heavens, rips up his program, and scatters the pieces on the ground, apparently swearing off betting. He rises, pulls on his hat, and dejectedly begins to walk offstage.
- From Biograph picture catalogue, Nov. 1902 [MI], p. 62: 48 feet. Charles E. Grapewin as "Chimmie Hicks of New York," at the races, showing the change of emotions from "winning" to "losing."
- From Biograph bulletin form 247: "Above the limit" (2 lengths). Charles E. Grapewin imitating a man at races winning and losing.
- Created / Published
- United States : American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, [1900?].
- Subject Headings
- - Horse racing--Betting--United States--Drama
- - Horseplayers--United States--Drama
- - Gamblers--United States--Drama
- - Gambling--United States--Drama
- - Silent films
- - H16734 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: American Mutoscope & Biograph Co.; 18Apr1902; H16734.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Camera, F.S. Armitage.
- - Charles E. Grapewin (Chimmie Hicks).
- - Approximate release date of Nov. 1900 from AFI catalog.
- - Duration: 0:47 at 16 fps.
- - Materials listed originate from the paper print chosen best copy of two for digitization; for other holdings on this title, see the M/B/RS Paper Print database.
- - Catalog no. 1693; code name (for telegraphic orders) Galictis.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - NCN046287; Chimmie Hicks at the races.
- - Filmed Oct. 26, 1900, in the Biograph New York City studio.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; AFI cat.: film beginnings, 1893-1910, 1995; Biograph bulletins 1896-1908, 1971, p. 61, 101; New York clipper, 12/22/1900, p. 946.
- - Received: 12/5/94 from LC film lab; ref print; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 10/28/94 from LC film lab; dupe neg; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 4/18/02; paper pos; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- 1 reel of 1 (47 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. ref print.
- 1 reel of 1 (47 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. dupe neg.
- 1 roll (47 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- Call Number
- FEC 1127 (ref print)
- FPE 7607 (dupe neg)
- LC 175a (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- varsmp 0175 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/varsmp.0175
- Library of Congress Catalog Number