Film, Video Mr. Jack in the dressing room /
Conduct of Life
Dressing Rooms (Performing Arts)
Middle Aged Men
- Mr. Jack in the dressing room /
- Other Title
- Mr. Jack visits the dressing room
- Opens on a stage set of the interior of a theatrical dressing room. Along a bar that serves as a dressing table sit three costumed young women--perhaps chorus girls or members of a burlesque troope--adjusting their hair and makeup in three mirrors hanging from the wall. Two of the women wear very short outfits that show their stockinged legs; the third woman is dressed in a ruffled dress to the knee. A portly, middle-aged man with muttonchop whiskers enters the room, dressed in evening clothes and top hat and carrying a cane. He hands the cane and hat to the delighted women and responds to them in a jovial, familiar manner. He calls in a uniformed boy with a tray of glasses and a bottle, then pours drinks for himself and all the ladies. They toast each other and drink, then the man begins to dance a jig. The women apparently decide to dress him as a woman, placing a tulle apron around his waist as he rolls up his pants legs. As he continues his jig, a severe-looking woman in a dark dress, hat, and gloves enters. She reacts in shock at the sight of the dancing man in his skirt, then grabs him and hits him with the parasol she carries. As the young women watch and laugh, the older woman drags the embarrassed man from the room by his ear.
- Created / Published
- United States : American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1904.
- Subject Headings
- - Dressing rooms (Performing arts)--United States--Drama
- - Middle-aged men--Sexual behavior--United States--Drama
- - Middle-aged men--United States--Conduct of life--Drama
- - Women entertainers--Clothing--United States--Drama
- - Women entertainers--Sexual behavior--United States--Drama
- - Female impersonators--United States--Drama
- - Silent films
- - H44028 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: American Mutoscope & Biograph Co.; 29Mar1904; H44028.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Camera, A.E. Weed.
- - Duration: 0:57 at 16 fps.
- - Materials listed originate from the paper print chosen best copy of two for digitization; for other holdings on this title, see the M/B/RS Paper Print database.
- - Catalog no. 2851; code name (for telegraphic orders) Resultabis.
- - NCN046334; Mr. Jack in the dressing room.
- - Filmed Mar. 16, 1904, in the Biograph New York City studio.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; AFI cat.: film beginnings, 1893-1910, 1995.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Received: 12/14/94 from LC film lab; ref print; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 11/25/94 from LC film lab; dupe neg; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 3/29/04; paper pos; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- 1 reel of 1 (58 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. ref print.
- 1 reel of 1 (58 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. dupe neg.
- 1 roll (58 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- Call Number
- FEC 2180 (ref print)
- FPE 7675 (dupe neg)
- LC 99a (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- varsmp 0099 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/varsmp.0099
- Library of Congress Catalog Number