Film, Video Panorama exterior Westinghouse works /
- Panorama exterior Westinghouse works /
- Other Title
- Westinghouse works.
- Westinghouse works--Paper Print Collection. Compilation reel 1
- Railroad from Pittsburg to Stewart, Westinghouse works
- Railroad panorama, Pittsburg to Stewart, Westinghouse works
- Panorama of exterior
- westinghouse works.
- westinghouse works--paper print collection. compilation reel 1
- railroad from pittsburg to stewart, westinghouse works
- railroad panorama, pittsburg to stewart, westinghouse works
- panorama of exterior
- The view from a moving train shows some of the Westinghouse interests and the surrounding areas. It appears that the film is in two parts and has been incorrectly spliced together with the last part put first. The film is supposed to show one rail route, but maps indicate that the first part of the film logically should be placed last. The first part of the film shows the Turtle Creek train station followed by buildings, homes, train yards, and industrial buildings, possibly the Westinghouse Air Brake Company. It passes by another station which appears to be Pitcairn. The second part of the film shows the Westinghouse Machine Co. buildings followed by the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Co. buildings.
- Created / Published
- United States : American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1904.
- Subject Headings
- - Westinghouse Electric & Manufacturing Company
- - Westinghouse Air Brake Company
- - Westinghouse Machine Company
- - Railroads, Industrial--Pennsylvania--East Pittsburgh
- - Industrial tours--Pennsylvania--East Pittsburgh
- - Industrial districts--Pennsylvania--East Pittsburgh
- - Railroad yards--Pennsylvania--East Pittsburgh
- - Industrial buildings--Pennsylvania--East Pittsburgh
- - Factories--Pennsylvania--East Pittsburgh
- - H45157 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: American Mutoscope & Biograph Co.; 2May1904; H45157.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Erroneous segment title on LC's 16 mm. viewing print (FLA 5896) is Panorama of exterior; 16 mm. print also includes about 7 feet of credits supplied by Kemp Niver.
- - Camera, G.W. "Billy" Bitzer.
- - Duration: 6:04 at 16 fps.
- - Viewing copy (16 mm.) on reel with eight other titles.
- - Biograph production no. 2897.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 2237) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Filmed in May,1904 in East Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- - Although the copyright registration date is May 2, 1904, according to the Biograph Co. production records (production log, p. 40-41), the film was taken on May 2 and developed on May 6.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - Digital files are on the American Memory exhibit: Inside an American factory. See LC online catalog record no. 2002564464.
- - This film, along with 20 other short films, was selected for the National Film Registry under the title Westinghouse works.
- - AFI cat. incorrectly lists "Panorama exterior Westinghouse works" as no. 2890, "Static electric sign," which is clearly not the same film, and gives "Railroad panorama, Pittsburg to Stewart, Westinghouse works" as a separate film.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985, p. 358; AFI cat.: film beginnings, 1893-1910, 1995; Biograph photo catalog, v. 6 [MI]; Biograph Co. prod. records [MI]; the Internet movie database WWW site, viewed 10-23-2012; M/B/RS preliminary catalog card.
- - 35 mm dupe neg pic renumbered: FPE 6846 to FZA 2306.
- 1 film reel (135 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. viewing print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (336 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. viewing print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 135 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. dupe neg pic.
- 1 film reel of 1 (336 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. dupe neg pic.
- 1 roll of 1 (ca. 330 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- 1 roll of 1 (ca. 330 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos (copy 2)
- Call Number
- FLA 5896 (viewing print)
- FEB 5465 (viewing print)
- FRA 2846 (dupe neg pic)
- FZA 2306 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0993A (paper pos)
- Box 5667A (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- westhpp 2237s1 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/westhpp.2237
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright in the motion pictures in these collections. As is indicated in the cataloging, most of the titles were registered for copyright prior to 1916. (No registration information exists for some titles.) The Library notes that the reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in some foreign countries.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses. Users should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.