Film, Video Wreck of the "Vizcaya" /
Articles and Essays with this item:
- Wreck of the "Vizcaya" /
- Other Title
- Wreck of the "Viscaya"
- wreck of the "viscaya"
- Created / Published
- United States : American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, .
- Subject Headings
- - Vizcaya (Armored cruiser)
- - Santiago, Battle of, Santiago de Cuba, Cuba, 1898
- - Spanish-American War, 1898--Naval operations
- - Spanish-American War, 1898--Campaigns--Cuba
- - Shipwrecks--Cuba
- - Cruisers (Warships)--Cuba
- - Naval battles--Cuba--Santiago de Cuba Bay
- - Spain.--Armada
- - Santiago de Cuba Bay (Cuba)
- - Copyright: American Mutoscope & Biograph Co.; 24Apr1903; H30726.
- - Original main title lacking. DLC
- - Probable release date from AFI cat.: film beginnings, 1893-1910, 1995.
- - Duration: 0:27 at 16 fps.
- - Materials listed originate from the paper print chosen best copy of two for digitization; for other holdings on this title, contact M/B/RS reference staff. DLC
- - From the Biograph picture catalogue: 27 feet. This is a wonderfully impressive picture, taken on the morning after the battle in which the Spanish navy was destroyed. This battleship, once the "Pride of Spain," is shown a ruined hulk on the beach, the terrible effect of the guns of Uncle Sam's warships being apparent everywhere. Contrasted with our earlier picture of the "Viscaya" in New York Harbor ["Vizcaya" under full headway], the "Viscaya" here presents a woeful appearance.
- - Biograph catalog no. 707; code name (for telegraphic orders) Volusius.
- - MAVIS 48455; Wreck of the "Vizcaya" (Spanish-American War). DLC
- - Filmed July 3 or 4, 1898, off the coast of Santiago de Cuba.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; Biograph picture catalogue, Nov. 1902, p. 202 [MI].
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Received: 7/22/97 from LC film lab; ref print; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 6/12/97 from LC film lab; dupe neg; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 4/24/03; paper pos; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- 1 reel of 1 (ca. 37 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. ref print.
- 1 reel of 1 (ca. 37 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. dupe neg.
- 1 roll (ca. 37 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- Call Number
- FEC 2873 (ref print)
- FPE 9300 (dupe neg)
- LC 136b (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- sawmp 0136 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/sawmp.0136
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to the Spanish-American War in Motion Pictures for educational and research purposes. The Library is not aware of any copyrights or other rights associated with this Collection. However, users should note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba; and 25th Infantry are reproduced here courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.