Film, Video 9th Infantry boys' morning wash /
Articles and Essays with this item:
Spanish American War
- 9th Infantry boys' morning wash /
- Other Title
- Ninth Infantry boys' morning wash
- Ninth U.S. Infantry boys at their morning wash
- ninth infantry boys' morning wash
- ninth u.s. infantry boys at their morning wash
- "Imagine forty or fifty soldier boys each with a pail of water on the ground before him, sousing and spattering and scrubbing away for dear life. Soap and towels too. Every man jack of them looks as if he were enjoying the wash immensely, and also the novelty of having his picture taken. The big fellow in the center of the picture is laughing heartily. All the figures are clearly outlined, and the whole group is true to life"--Edison films "war extra" catalog.
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1898.
- Subject Headings
- - United States.--Army.--Infantry, 9th
- - Military camps--Florida--Tampa
- - United States.--Army--Military life
- - Soldiers--Florida--Tampa
- - Spanish-American War, 1898
- - 31444 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 20May1898; 31444.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Camera, William Paley.
- - Duration: 0:27 at 26 fps.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1329) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Filmed ca. May 1898 in Tampa, Florida.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997, p. 427; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985, p. 223; Edison films "war extra" catalog, May 10, 1898, p. 32 [MI].
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - Compilation reels FEA 9087 (print) and FPB 9735 (neg) removed from this record. See MAVIS. qm22 2013-09-13
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 30 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 reel of 1 (ca. 30 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 85 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 85 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number
- FLA 4343 (viewing print)
- FRA 1487 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0037B (paper pos)
- Box 5471A (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- sawmp 1329 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/sawmp.1329
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to the Spanish-American War in Motion Pictures for educational and research purposes. The Library is not aware of any copyrights or other rights associated with this Collection. However, users should note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba; and 25th Infantry are reproduced here courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.