Film, Video Packing ammunition on mules, Cuba /
Articles and Essays with this item:
Equipment and Supplies
Pack Animals (Transportation)
Spanish American War
- Packing ammunition on mules, Cuba /
- From The Phonoscope, October 1898, p. 15: Dotting the horizon on the right of the picture is the great fleet of transports, while scattered all along the beach and piled high to the left are hundreds upon hundreds of ammunition cases. Soldier boys in the foreground are packing the boxes on the patient army mules. An officer stands by bossing the job. Two boxes are tied on each mule. (C. Musser, Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, p. 452)
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., c1898.
- Subject Headings
- - Mules--Cuba
- - Pack animals (Transportation)--Cuba
- - Ammunition--Transportation--Cuba
- - Soldiers--Cuba
- - United States.--Army--Transportation--Equipment and supplies
- - United States.--Army--Officers
- - Spanish-American War, 1898--Campaigns--Cuba
- - Landing operations
- - Transportation, Military--Cuba
- - Transports--Cuba
- - Animals--War use
- - 46692 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 5Aug1898; 46692.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Date is copyright and production date; unable to verify if work was ever actually released.
- - Camera, William Paley.
- - Duration: 0:34 at 22 fps.
- - Materials listed originate from the print chosen best copy for digitization; for other holdings on this title, contact M/B/RS reference staff.
- - Filmed ca. June 22-26, 1898, in Daiquirí, Cuba.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Received: ca. 1962; ref print; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 12/27/62; dupe neg; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 8/5/1898; paper pos; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- 1 reel of 1 (ca. 20 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. ref print.
- 1 reel of 1 (ca. 20 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. dupe neg.
- 1 roll (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- Call Number
- FLA 4371 (ref print)
- FRA 1510 (dupe neg)
- LC 1357 (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- sawmp 1357 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/sawmp.1357
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to the Spanish-American War in Motion Pictures for educational and research purposes. The Library is not aware of any copyrights or other rights associated with this Collection. However, users should note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba; and 25th Infantry are reproduced here courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.