Film, Video Major General Shafter /
Articles and Essays with this item:
- Major General Shafter /
- From Edison films catalog: The commander of the 5th Army Corps rides forward with a party of officers. He wears a white helmet, a broad expanse of shirt bosom and a general air of avoirdupois. 50 feet. $7.50.
- Contributor Names
- Shafter, William Rufus, 1835-1906.
- Paley, William Daly, 1857-1924, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1898.
- Subject Headings
- - Shafter, William Rufus,--1835-1906
- - United States.--Army--Officers
- - Spanish-American War, 1898--Campaigns--Cuba
- - Military camps--Cuba
- - Horses
- War (Nonfiction)--Short
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - 46694 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 5Aug1898; 46694.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Camera, William Paley.
- - Duration: 0:30 at 24 fps.
- - Materials listed originate from the print chosen best copy for digitization; for other holdings on this title, contact M/B/RS reference staff.
- - Edison code name (for telegraphic orders): Umtonen.
- - Filmed ca. June 1898 in Daiquirí, Cuba.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; Edison films catalog, no. 94, March 1900, p. 10 [MI]; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 34 [MI].
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Received: ca. 1962; ref print; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 12/27/62; dupe neg; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 8/5/1898; paper pos; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- 1 reel of 1 (ca. 20 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. ref print.
- 1 reel of 1 (ca. 20 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. dupe neg.
- 1 roll (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- Call Number
- FLA 3242 (ref print)
- FRA 0565 (dupe neg)
- LC 228 (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to the Spanish-American War in Motion Pictures for educational and research purposes. The Library is not aware of any copyrights or other rights associated with this Collection. However, users should note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba; and 25th Infantry are reproduced here courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.