Film, Video Troops making military road in front of Santiago /
Articles and Essays with this item:
- Troops making military road in front of Santiago /
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1898.
- Subject Headings
- - Military roads--Design and construction.--Cuba
- - Soldiers--Cuba
- - Clearing of land--Cuba
- - Spanish-American War, 1898--Campaigns--Cuba
- - United States.--Army--Military construction operations
- - United States.--Army--Transportation--Equipment and supplies
- - Transportation, Military--Cuba
- - Santiago de Cuba (Cuba)--History, Military--19th century
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 3Sept1898; 52059.
- - Original main title lacking. DLC
- - Camera, William Paley.
- - Duration: 0:42 at 20 fps.
- - Materials listed originate from the print chosen best copy for digitization; for other holdings on this title, contact M/B/RS reference staff. DLC
- - From Edison films catalog: Shows 34th Michigan boys hard at work with pick and shovel, preparing the way for passage of siege guns. 50 feet. $7.50.
- - From The Phonoscope, October 1898, p. 15: Here is a detail of the 34th Michigan Regiment engaged in road making. Under command of Captain Dodd of Troop E, 3rd Regular Cavalry, they are road making, that the siege guns may go to the front. The chaparral and thick underbrush has been cleared away, and the soldiers are working with picks and shovels, to make the way passable. (C. Musser, Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, p. 456)
- - Edison code name (for telegraphic orders): Umtraumen.
- - Filmed ca. June or July 1898, near Santiago, Cuba.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; Edison films catalog, no. 94, March 1900, p. 10 [MI]; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 34 [MI].
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Received: 6/76 from LC film lab; ref print; preservation; Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection.
- - Received: 9/3/1898; paper pos; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- 1 reel of 1 (ca. 53 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. ref print.
- 1 roll (ca. 53 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- Call Number
- FEA 7619 (ref print)
- LC 989 (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- sawmp 0989 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/sawmp.0989
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to the Spanish-American War in Motion Pictures for educational and research purposes. The Library is not aware of any copyrights or other rights associated with this Collection. However, users should note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba; and 25th Infantry are reproduced here courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.