Map of the located route of the Metropolitan Rail Road and the adjacent country comprising the District of Columbia and the counties of Montgomery, Frederick, and Washington in the state of Maryland, Francis Dodge president M.R.R. Company, Edmund French, chief engineer, W. R. Hutton draughtsman, completed April 30, 1855 from surveys made in 1853 and 1854.
- Map of the located route of the Metropolitan Rail Road and the adjacent country comprising the District of Columbia and the counties of Montgomery, Frederick, and Washington in the state of Maryland, Francis Dodge president M.R.R. Company, Edmund French, chief engineer, W. R. Hutton draughtsman, completed April 30, 1855 from surveys made in 1853 and 1854.
- Contributor Names
- Hutton, Wm. R. 1826-1901. (William Rich),
- Created Published
- [Washington, 1855]
- Subject Headings
- - Metropolitan Railroad Company (Georgetown, Washington, D.C)
- - Railroads--Maryland
- - Railroads--Planning--Maryland
- - Railroads--Washington (D.C.)
- - Railroads--Planning--Washington (D.C.)
- - Canals--Planning--Maryland
- - Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md. and Washington, D.C.)
- - Washington Aqueduct (Md. and Washington, D.C.)
- - United States--Maryland.
- - United States--District of Columbia--Washington.
- - Scale 1:126,720.
- - LC Railroad maps, 460
- - Description derived from published bibliography.
- - Topographical map of part of Maryland showing relief by hachures, drainage, cities and towns, canals, the Washington Aqueduct, roads, and railroads with mileage on the main survey line. Chartered in 1853.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- Map 60 X 94 Cm.
- Call Number
- G3841.P3 1855 .H82
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g3841p rr004600 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3841p.rr004600
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Railroad Maps, 1828 to 1900
Transportation and Communication Cartographic Items
Geography and Map Division