Map of the routes examined and surveyed for the Winchester and Potomac Rail Road, State of Virginia, under the direction of Capt. J. D. Graham, U.S. Top. Eng., 1831 and 1832; surveyed by Lts. A. D. Mackay and E. French, 1st Arty., assistants in 1831, and Lts. E. French and J. F. Izard, assistants in 1832; drawn from the original plot by Lt. Humphreys, 2d Artillery.
Humphreys, A. A.
Winchester and Potomac Railroad Company
- Map of the routes examined and surveyed for the Winchester and Potomac Rail Road, State of Virginia, under the direction of Capt. J. D. Graham, U.S. Top. Eng., 1831 and 1832; surveyed by Lts. A. D. Mackay and E. French, 1st Arty., assistants in 1831, and Lts. E. French and J. F. Izard, assistants in 1832; drawn from the original plot by Lt. Humphreys, 2d Artillery.
- Contributor Names
- Humphreys, A. A. 1810-1883. (Andrew Atkinson),
- Created Published
- [N.P., 1832?]
- Subject Headings
- - Winchester and Potomac Railroad Company
- - Railroads--Virginia--Frederick County
- - Railroads--West Virginia--Jefferson County
- - United States--Virginia--Frederick County.
- - United States--West Virginia--Jefferson County.
- - Scale 1:63,360.
- - From Documents Concerning Winchester and Potomac Railroad, 24th Congress, 2d session., House doc. 465, serial 331.
- - "Submitted to the Bureau of Topographical Engineers, with reports dated March 31st & September 22d, 1832. James D. Graham, Captain, U.S. Topl. Engs."
- - LC Railroad maps, 619
- - Description derived from published bibliography.
- - Topographic map surveyed in strips along the railroad routes. Shows property owners and covers an area between the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers to Winchester. Includes table showing "a summary of the routes surveyed for the Winchester and Potomac Rail Road, State of Virginia."
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- Map 53 X 58 Cm.
- Call Number
- G3883.F8P3 1832 .H8
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g3883f rr006190 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3883f.rr006190
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Railroad Maps, 1828 to 1900
Transportation and Communication Cartographic Items
Geography and Map Division