Film, Video Colonel Funston swimming the Bagbag River /
Spanish American War
- Colonel Funston swimming the Bagbag River /
- Other Title
- Col. Funston swimming the Bagbag River
- Colonel Funstan swimming the Baglag River
- Col. Funstan swimming the Baglag River
- Colonel Funston swimming the Baglag River
- Col. Funston swimming the Baglag River
- Colonel Funstan swimming the Bagbag River
- Col. Funstan swimming the Bagbag River
- col. funston swimming the bagbag river
- colonel funstan swimming the baglag river
- col. funstan swimming the baglag river
- colonel funston swimming the baglag river
- col. funston swimming the baglag river
- colonel funstan swimming the bagbag river
- col. funstan swimming the bagbag river
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Mfg. Co., 1899.
- Subject Headings
- - Courage
- - Spanish-American War, 1898--Campaigns--Philippines
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 23Sep1899; 61838.
- - Duration: 1:45 at 16 fps.
- - A fictionalized reenactment of an incident in the Spanish-American War when an American officer swam the Bagbag River despite the presence of enemy soldiers on the opposite shore. He jumps into the river under cover of fire by his men at the enemy, leading some on a raft, and eventually the American flag is unfurled in victory.
- - MAVIS 48501; Colonel Funston swimming the Baglag River. DLC
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; American Film Institute catalog, film beginnings, 1893-1910, A.02896.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Received: ca. 5/1999 from LC lab; ref print; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 9/15/1997 from LC lab; dupe neg; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 9/23/1899; paper pos; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- 1 reel of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : si., b&w. ; 35 mm. ref print.
- 1 reel of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : si., b&w. ; 35 mm. dupe neg.
- 1 roll (ca. 100 ft.) : si., b&w. ; 35mm. paper pos.
- Call Number
- FEC 4548 (ref print)
- FPE 9919 (dupe neg)
- LC 1539 (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- sawmp 4086 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/sawmp.4086
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to the Spanish-American War in Motion Pictures for educational and research purposes. The Library is not aware of any copyrights or other rights associated with this Collection. However, users should note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba; and 25th Infantry are reproduced here courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.