Maps Carte du Canada et des Etats-Unis de l'Amérique Septentrionale /
Fortin, J. (Jean)
Robert De Vaugondy, Gilles
Early Works to 1800
- Carte du Canada et des Etats-Unis de l'Amérique Septentrionale /
- Contributor Names
- Robert de Vaugondy, Gilles, 1688-1766.
- Fortin, J. (Jean), 1740-1817.
- Created / Published
- Paris : Chez Fortin, Ing'r mécanicien du Roi pour les globes et sphères, 1778.
- Subject Headings
- - Canada--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - United States--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Canada
- - United States
- - Covers Canada east of Lake Superior and south of James Bay; covers U.S. north of Albemarle Bay (N.C.).
- - Relief shown pictorially.
- - Third state.
- - Meridians numbered eastward from unspecified prime (Montréal at 305⁰E).
- - Believed to be the earlist map to use the name United States of America (in any language).
- - Watermarked (unclear wording with pointed cross at center of embellished circle with pendant cross).
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Includes Newfoundland inset and pictorial title cartouche.
- - LC copy trimmed, annotated in faded ink to show names and boundaries in New England, annotated "Carte 21" in ink on verso, probably removed from atlas.
- - Vault
- - Acquisitions control no.: 99-14
- 1 map : hand col. ; 47 x 67 cm., folded to 50 x 35 cm.
- Call Number
- G3400 1778 .R6
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.