Maps Map showing the positions occupied by the Tenth New York Cavalry in the cavalry engagements on the right flank at Gettysburg, Penn. : on July 2 & 3, 1863, between the Union cavalry under Gen. D. McM. Gregg and the Confederate cavalry under Gen. J.E.B. Stuart.
- Map showing the positions occupied by the Tenth New York Cavalry in the cavalry engagements on the right flank at Gettysburg, Penn. : on July 2 & 3, 1863, between the Union cavalry under Gen. D. McM. Gregg and the Confederate cavalry under Gen. J.E.B. Stuart.
- Contributor Names
- Preston, Noble D.
- United States. Army. Office of the Chief of Engineers.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Gettysburg, Battle of, Gettysburg, Pa., 1863--Maps, Manuscript
- - Gettysburg Region (Pa.)--Defenses--Maps
- - Gettysburg Region (Pa.)--Maps, Manuscript
- - Landowners--Pennsylvania--Gettysburg--Maps
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Gettysburg Region
- - Gettysburg, Battle of, Gettysburg, Pa
- - Finished ms. version of later printed map showing Federal cavalry positions and movements, camp and barracks of the 10th N.Y. Cavalry in 1861-62, drainage, vegetation, roads, streets, railroad, houses, and names of occupants.
- - Covers troop positions in rural areas east of Gettysburg.
- - Relief of hills shown by form lines.
- - Author's name and date of preparation from LC Civil War Maps, 2nd ed., 1989.
- - Printed version appears in Preston's History of the Tenth Regiment of Cavalry, New York State Volunteers, Aug. 1861 to Aug. 1865. New York, D. Appleton, 1892, opp. p. 116.
- - In lower margin: The government maps used by permission of the Chief of Engineers, U.S.A.
- - Pen-and-ink (india ink).
- - Accompanied by 2 untitled ms. maps, presumably done as preliminary studies, on which the Union cavalry actions have been sketched partly in ink and partly in pencil. Also accompanied by 4 untitled ms. maps of the movements of "Stuart's cavalry, July 3, 2 to 5 P.M." apparently drawn as preliminary studies for the Confederate troop positions, which appear in red on the printed version.  maps : ms. ; 50 x 64 cm. or smaller, on sheets 55 x 73 cm.
- - Includes text.
- - LC Civil War maps (2nd ed.), 346
- - Available also through the Library of Congress website as raster image.
- 1 ms. map : cloth backing ; 41 x 59 cm.
- Call Number
- G3824.G3S5 1891 .P7
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.