Maps Colton's map of the southern states. Including Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas. Showing also part of adjoining states & territories locating the forts & military stations of the U. States & showing all the rail roads, r. r. stations, & other internal improvements.
Colton, J. H.
Colton, J. H. (Joseph Hutchins)
- Colton's map of the southern states. Including Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas. Showing also part of adjoining states & territories locating the forts & military stations of the U. States & showing all the rail roads, r. r. stations, & other internal improvements.
- Contributor Names
- Colton, J. H. (Joseph Hutchins), 1800-1893.
- Created / Published
- New York J. H. Colton 1861.
- Subject Headings
- - Southern States--Maps
- - United States--Southern States
- - Scale ca 1:1,520,640.
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 6.6
- - "Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1861 by J.H. Colton."
- - Printed by Lang & Laing, N.Y.
- - Insets: Southern part of Florida. 27 x 20 cm.-Colton's map of the United States showing the proposed railroad routes to the Pacific Ocean. 19 x 26 cm.
- - Includes tables of population based on the "United States Census for 1860."
- - "No. 6" in upper left corner.
- - In this edition, "and" has not been inserted before "Texas" in the map title and the entire title has been moved from the right to the upper center.
- - Ships are depicted along the coast denoting Union blockade of southern harbors.
- - Description derived from published bibliography.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.
- 1 map col. 96 x 137 cm.
- Call Number
- G3860 1861 .C62
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.