Maps [Map of the southern states, including rail roads, county towns, state capitals, county roads, the southern coast Delaware to Texas, showing the harbors, inlets, forts and position of blockading ships
Articles and Essays with this item:
- [Map of the southern states, including rail roads, county towns, state capitals, county roads, the southern coast Delaware to Texas, showing the harbors, inlets, forts and position of blockading ships
- Created / Published
- [S.l., 1861]
- Subject Headings
- - Southern States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Southern States
- - Scale ca. 1:3,000,000.
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 14.55
- - From Harper's weekly, v. 5, Nov. 9, 1861. Following p. 706.
- - Inset: Charleston and Beaufort, South Carolina. 12 x 12 cm.
- - Includes portraits of Lincoln, Seward, Scott, and McClellan.
- - Geography and Map Division copy badly cropped. Border and map title wanting.
- - "Our war map. We break through our usual habits in this number, and devote four pages to the publication of a large war map of the southern states. Without intending to disparage any of the maps in existence, we think this will be found more reliable, and more useful to the students of the war, than any other we have seen." (Harper's Weekly, v. 5, Nov. 9, 1861. p. 706.)
- - Map was also published in the Sun, New York, Jan. 4, 1862 (Civil War Maps entry no. 32.9) and by Bacon and Company, ca. 1863 (Civil War Maps entry no. 37).
- - Description derived from published bibliography.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.
- 1 map 45 x 71 cm.
- Call Number
- G3861.S5 1861 .M36
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
- Digital Id
- g3861s cw0014550 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3861s.cw0014550
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Civil War Maps materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Lines: use the following as appropriate
Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division
Library of Virginia, Map Collection
The Virginia Historical Society
Citing Primary Sources on the Teachers Page.
How to Order Reproductions
Geography and Map Division
Photographic copies of maps from the Geography and Map Division are available through the Library of Congress Photoduplication Service. These reproductions are made from digital images. (Digital reproductions in TIFF format are also available.)
The Photoduplication Service estimates that it takes 3-6 weeks to complete an order. To request a reproduction:
Take down the DIGITAL ID number and the TITLE from the bibliographic description.
Consult the Photoduplication Service for pricing details and order forms: www.loc.gov/preserv/pds/
Contact the Photoduplication Service to place an order:
Library of Virginia
The Library of Virginia's Photographic and Digital Imaging Services department offers a variety of choices for reproductions:
- Digital images transferred to CD-ROM (PC or MAC compatible)
- Full size inkjet prints
- 8 x 10 dye sublimation prints (suitable for publication)
Please direct all inquiries regarding the duplication of the Library of Virginia's Civil War map collection to any of the following:
- Regular mail
The Library of Virginia
Archives Research Services
800 East Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Tuesday through Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. EDT
Please include your name, address, daytime phone number, the name of the map and the LVA item number (ex.: LVA000125) in all correspondence.
Costs for duplication vary. Service and use fees may apply. Permission to reproduce, publish, or exhibit materials from the Library of Virginiaâ€™s collections must be obtained from Archives Research Services.
Acquiring copies of materials in any format from the Archives does not confer the right to recopy, reproduce, publish, or exhibit them without the express written consent of the Library, or the holder of copyright to those materials.
Virginia Historical Society
To request copies of these maps, please contact Stephanie Jacobe (firstname.lastname@example.org) or visit the VHS website (www.vahistorical.org External) for more information. Images will be available as digital files or prints, and a price list is posted on the site
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.