Colton's map of the southern states, including Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, showing also part of adjoining states & territories locating the forts & military stations of U. States & showing all the rail roads, r. r. stations, & other internal improvements.
Colton, J. H.
- Colton's map of the southern states, including Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, showing also part of adjoining states & territories locating the forts & military stations of U. States & showing all the rail roads, r. r. stations, & other internal improvements.
- Contributor Names
- Colton, J. H.
- Created Published
- New York J. H. Colton 1862.
- Subject Headings
- - Southern States
- - United States--Southern States.
- - Scale ca. 1: 1,520,640.
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 25.5
- - "Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1861 by J. H. Colton."
- - Printed by Lang & Laing, N.Y.
- - "No. 6" in the upper left margin.
- - Insets: Southern part of Florida. 27 x 20 cm.-Colton's map of the United States showing the proposed railroad routes to the Pacific Ocean. 19 x 26 cm.
- - Includes tables of population based on the "United States Census for 1860."
- - Cover title: Colton's map of the southern states of America, showing the whole seat of war on the seabord [sic] and in the interior, designating every town, railway, and stream; also showing the forts and fortifications. London, Bacon and Co.
- - Pasted inside the cover is a list of "Bacon's shilling series of American war maps, just published."
- - Advertisement for "Bacon's guide to American politics" and a list of "Colton's maps of America, and complete series of war maps" are pasted to the verso of the map.
- - "Explanations" (i.e., legend) is pasted over the bottom border. Map is colored to show "free, or non-slaveholding states" (pink), "border slave states" (yellow), and "seceded or confederate states" (green).
- - 1861 editions are listed as Civil War Maps entry nos. 6.5-6.6; 1863 edition is listed as Civil War Maps entry no. 37.6.
- - Description derived from published bibliography.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.
- 1 Map Col. 97 X 140 Cut and Mounted to Fold to 22 X 13 Cm.
- Call Number
- G3860 1862 .C6
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
- Digital Id
- g3860 cw0025500 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3860.cw0025500
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.