Maps Colton's new railroad & county map of the United States, the Canadas &c.
Colton, J. H.
Colton, J. H. (Joseph Hutchins)
- Colton's new railroad & county map of the United States, the Canadas &c.
- Contributor Names
- Colton, J. H. (Joseph Hutchins), 1800-1893.
- Created / Published
- New York : J.H. Colton, 1862.
- Subject Headings
- - Railroads.--United States--Maps.--Maps
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States
- - "Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1861 by J.H. Colton."
- - "Explanations" (i.e., legend) is pasted over the bottom margin. Map is colored to show "free, or non-slaveholding states" (pink), "border slave states" (yellow), and "seceded or confederate states" (green).
- - Description derived from published bibliography.
- - Insets: Colton's map of the United States showing the proposed railroad routes to the Pacific Ocean -- Southern part of Florida.
- - This item is in the Map Collection of the Library of Virginia; please contact the Library's Archives Research Services department for more information.
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 25.7
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.
- - March 1962, C.R. Sanders, df; Oct. 2003, Map Cataloging Team.
- - Civil War project no.: lva00162.
- - Conservation: restored May 1965; Etherington Conservation Center, Oct. 2003.
- - Digital image available: 40 x 30 in.
- - Map accession no. 1983 (1964).
- - Previously filed as: 730 .R15 1862.
- 1 map : col., mounted on paper ; 79 x 93 cm. on sheet 87 x 103 cm.
- Call Number
- G3700 1862 .C64
- Library of Virginia Richmond, VA 23219-8000 USA vau For copies contact: Archives Research Services.
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.