Maps Map of the battle field of Gettysburg. July 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 1863
Bachelder, John (John Badger)
Gettysburg (Pa.), Battle Of
Gettysburg Region (Pa.)
Gettysburg, Battle Of, Gettysburg, Pa.
- Map of the battle field of Gettysburg. July 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 1863
- Contributor Names
- Bachelder, John B. (John Badger), 1825-1894.
- Created / Published
- Boston, John B. Bachelder, 1876.
- Subject Headings
- - Gettysburg, Battle of, Gettysburg, Pa., 1863--Maps
- - Gettysburg Region (Pa.)--Maps
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Gettysburg Region
- - Gettysburg (Pa.), Battle of, 1863
- - Scale 1:12,000.
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 325
- - "Topography engraved by Julia Bien . . . N.Y. Positions & lettering by Louis E. Neuman . . . N.Y."
- - "Printed by Endicott & Co. . . . N.Y."
- - The maps are entitled: First day's battle. Second day's battle. Third day's battle.
- - "The map is reduced from one on a scale of 200 feet to the inch, deposited in the Archives of the office of the Chief of Engineers. The survey was ordered by Brevet Major General A. A. Humphreys, Chief of Engineers, and conducted under Brevet Major General G. K. Warren, Major of Engineers."
- - An extremely detailed topographic map with spot elevations and contours "given for every change of 4 feet in elevation." Drainage, vegetation, roads, railroads, fences, houses with names of residents, and a detailed plan of the town of Gettysburg are shown. "Every object is represented here as near as possible as it was at the time of the battle."
- - A very minute analysis of the deployment of the various units of both armies, with the names of commanding officers, period of time spent in a particular position, and other pertinent information is given. Dotted lines and arrows indicate the movements of the troops, and the positions at various times of the day are shown by symbols explained in the legend.
- - Description derived from published bibliography.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.
- 3 maps, col., each 74 x 71 cm.
- Call Number
- G3824.G3S5 1863 .B33
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.