Maps [Maps of the environs of forts Franklin, Alexander, and Ripley, in Montgomery County, Maryland].
United States. Army. Corps of Engineers
Montgomery County (Md.)
- [Maps of the environs of forts Franklin, Alexander, and Ripley, in Montgomery County, Maryland].
- Contributor Names
- United States. Army. Corps of Engineers.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Fortification--Maryland--Montgomery County--Maps
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Montgomery County (Md.)--Maps, Manuscript
- - United States--Maryland--Montgomery County
- - Four fort vicinity sketch maps, each covering the same area, but in various stages of completion. The map with the most detail includes roads, drainage, vegetation, and fortifications.
- - Relief shown by contours on some maps.
- - Forts Franklin, Alexander, and Ripley were part of the defenses of Washington.
- - Title from published Civil War bibliography.
- - Manuscript: pen-and-ink (black, brown), blue watercolor, lead pencil.
- - At upper left in india ink: 211, L. Sheet 4.
- - Imperfect: Stained at edges, small internal stains, torn at edges, taped on verso, small sections missing along bottom edge.
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 688
- - Includes 2 male figure drawings at upper left (pen-and-ink, watercolor, lead pencil).
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.
- 4 ms. maps on 1 sheet : some col. ; 26 x 25 cm. or smaller, sheet 55 x 68 cm.
- Call Number
- G3843.M6S5 186- .U5
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.