Maps Battle field of Gettysburg.
Warren, G. K.
Gettysburg, Battle Of, Gettysburg, Pa
Gettysburg, Battle Of, Gettysburg, Pa.
- Battle field of Gettysburg.
- Contributor Names
- Warren, G. K. 1830-1882. (Gouverneur Kemble),
- Created / Published
- [Washington, U.S. Army, Office of the Chief of Engineers 187-?]
- Subject Headings
- - Gettysburg, Battle of, Gettysburg, Pa., 1863
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Gettysburg
- - Gettysburg, Battle of, Gettysburg, Pa
- - Scale 1:12,000 (1 inch equals 1000 feet).
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 353.5
- - From the Jubal Early Collection in the Manuscript Division, L.C.
- - Detailed topographic map subsequently used as the base for John B. Bachelder's "Map of the Battle Field of Gettysburg" (see entry nos. 325 and 326)
- - "Positions of troops are not given."
- - "The map is reduced from one on a scale of 200 feet to the inch, deposited in the Archives of the office of the Chief of Engineers. The survey was ordered by Brevet Major General A. A. Humphreys, Chief of Engineers, and conducted under Brevet Major General G. K. Warren, Major of Engineers." The survey was made in 1868 and 1869 and revised on the ground by P. M. Blake, Civil Engineer in 1873. The original is in the National Archives, Cartographic and Architectural Branch, Record Group 77:E 81.
- - Description derived from published bibliography.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.
- 1 map, 81 x 70 cm.
- Call Number
- G3824.G3 187- W3
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
- Digital Id
- g3824g cw0353500 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3824g.cw0353500
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The maps in the Civil War Maps materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Lines: use the following as appropriate
Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division
Library of Virginia, Map Collection
The Virginia Historical Society
Citing Primary Sources on the Teachers Page.
How to Order Reproductions
Geography and Map Division
Photographic copies of maps from the Geography and Map Division are available through the Library of Congress Photoduplication Service. These reproductions are made from digital images. (Digital reproductions in TIFF format are also available.)
The Photoduplication Service estimates that it takes 3-6 weeks to complete an order. To request a reproduction:
Take down the DIGITAL ID number and the TITLE from the bibliographic description.
Consult the Photoduplication Service for pricing details and order forms: http://www.loc.gov/preserv/pds/
Contact the Photoduplication Service to place an order:
Library of Virginia
The Library of Virginia's Photographic and Digital Imaging Services department offers a variety of choices for reproductions:
- Digital images transferred to CD-ROM (PC or MAC compatible)
- Full size inkjet prints
- 8 x 10 dye sublimation prints (suitable for publication)
Please direct all inquiries regarding the duplication of the Library of Virginia's Civil War map collection to any of the following:
- Regular mail
The Library of Virginia
Archives Research Services
800 East Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Tuesday through Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. EDT
Please include your name, address, daytime phone number, the name of the map and the LVA item number (ex.: LVA000125) in all correspondence.
Costs for duplication vary. Service and use fees may apply. Permission to reproduce, publish, or exhibit materials from the Library of Virginiaâ€™s collections must be obtained from Archives Research Services.
Acquiring copies of materials in any format from the Archives does not confer the right to recopy, reproduce, publish, or exhibit them without the express written consent of the Library, or the holder of copyright to those materials.
Virginia Historical Society
To request copies of these maps, please contact Stephanie Jacobe (email@example.com) or visit the VHS website (www.vahistorical.org) for more information. Images will be available as digital files or prints, and a price list is posted on the site
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.