Maps New map of Charleston Harbor, showing the scene of the great naval contest between the iron clad monitors and the Rebel batteries, also the lines of fire, forts, obstructions, inlets, princl. plantations, & e.t.c.
Tomlinson, G. W.
Tomlinson, G. W. (George W.)
Charleston Harbor (S.C.)
- New map of Charleston Harbor, showing the scene of the great naval contest between the iron clad monitors and the Rebel batteries, also the lines of fire, forts, obstructions, inlets, princl. plantations, & e.t.c.
- Contributor Names
- Tomlinson, G. W. (George W.)
- Created / Published
- Boston, Lith. by J. Mayer & Co., c1863.
- Subject Headings
- - Charleston Harbor (S.C.)--Maps
- - Fortification--South Carolina--Charleston Region--Maps
- - South Carolina--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--South Carolina--Charleston Harbor
- - United States--South Carolina--Charleston Region
- - Scale not given.
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 376
- - Shows the coast from Long Island to the North Edisto River. Indicates drainage, roads, railroads, and dwellings with names of inhabitants. Channels, water depths, forts and batteries, with lines of fire, are given.
- - The following title appears in the lower right corner: Tomlinson's map of Charleston Harbor, S.C., and vicinity, showing the fortifications and batteries, together with a full description of the harbor, forts, obstructions, bombardment & et.c.
- - Drawings of the Ericsson "Devil" and the iron clad "Keokuk," and plans of Fort Sumter, Fort Moultrie, and Castle Pinckney are in the lower right corner. A column of text entitled "Description of the harbor, forts, &c." is in the right margin.
- - Description derived from published bibliography.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.
- 1 map, 56 x 39 cm.
- Call Number
- G3912.C4 1863 .T6
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.