Official map of the Union works in front of Yorktown, Va.
Sneden, Robert Knox
Virginia Peninsula (Va.)
- Official map of the Union works in front of Yorktown, Va.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created Published
- [1862 to 1865]
- Subject Headings
- - Peninsular Campaign, 1862
- - Virginia Peninsula (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865.
- - Yorktown (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- - United States--Virginia--Virginia Peninsula.
- - United States--Virginia--Yorktown.
- - Peninsular Campaign
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a photocopy of this scrapbook image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Shows the vicinity of Yorktown, Va., including Union batteries located along the Warwick Court House Road. Also shows the Confederate barricade made up of abatis, palisades, slashings of trees, felled trees, and dams that flooded low-lying areas. The Union army, under Gen. McClellan, prepared to lay siege to Yorktown as part of its advance up the Virginia Peninsula toward the Confederate capital of Richmond.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1 p. 103).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 Map : Pen and Ink and Watercolor ; 45 X 34 Cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- gvhs01 vhs00246 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.ndlpcoop/gvhs01.vhs00246
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.